Best website?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last ones i bought were made by better brew.
Cant honestly say i have noticed any quality differences except they are all lighter and thinner glass than yesteryear.
BTW they cost me £10.00 a throw.!!!!!
When Boots did homebrew they cost 50p

Where does everyone buy their glass demijohns please? So far Wilkinson seems the cheapest but maybe not the best quality?

Try charity shops i have bought a few off them take picture of one with you as staff often don't know they are called Demijohns, the old ones are made of thicker glass and i have some that hold 5 litres.

There's always a few secondhand on ebay and often they'll come with other bits of equipment (just search wine making job lot.). I got 6 for £14 a year or two back.

Aw what a shame, eBay is a no go, there’s some good deals on there but it’s all collection in person as it’s glass / expensive to post. Understandable I suppose.
Just keep checking back, although I suspect by the end of today you won't be able to go and collect even if they're local.

I wonder if the ones you buy with mineral water are too thin? They are designed as single use. Try some PET ones from a homebrew shop or online resource. Mine have stood up well to many brews. You can get them complete with caps and airlocks.

I wonder if the ones you buy with mineral water are too thin? They are designed as single use. Try some PET ones from a homebrew shop or online resource. Mine have stood up well to many brews. You can get them complete with caps and airlocks.

To be honest I thought they were the same! Shows what I know! 😂 I must be rough with them though because de-gassing always bends the proper HBO ones as well as the cheaper ones.

You will struggle to buy new traditional glass ones these days.
None of my suppliers have had any in stock for almost a year now. (we've even resorted to selling second hand ones in the shop).
An alternative is the "Dama" demi-john, (single handled, but will take a swing top closure as well as a bung), but these are scarce, and expensive...

Can anyone weigh a supermarket mineral water demijohn? It would be interesting to compare with a homebrew dj.

Please weight it empty, dry and without the cap / closure.

Latest posts

Back