Best website?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will struggle to buy new traditional glass ones these days.
None of my suppliers have had any in stock for almost a year now. (we've even resorted to selling second hand ones in the shop).
An alternative is the "Dama" demi-john, (single handled, but will take a swing top closure as well as a bung), but these are scarce, and expensive...

I know I’m a fusspot but I don’t like those single handled ones. The wilko ones do look the biz, but they are thinner and cheaper as apparently they don’t distribute the munton’s ones like they used to.

As far as I'm aware, no-one's making the old style ones anymore.
Thankfully, I've got about 40 of them, but still run out from time to time!

The supermarket one weighs more! 😂 And to be fair it feels considerably thicker too! Especially the top half. So HBO know where they can stick those in future!! 🙄

9882E724-75DA-42D5-9622-0D693D568B2C.jpeg
FB4B7C3E-3F93-4DBA-B94E-626F977EED5A.jpeg

Last edited:
If you drive and have Facebook try marketplace, just did a search in my local area and there's loads on there for really reasonable prices.

Could also put a shout out on a local group maybe there's a Facebook homebrew/wine making group in your area?

Also try Gumtree, shpock, Freecycle?

I have about 5 and could definitely part with a few but I'm in Liverpool!

If you drive and have Facebook try marketplace, just did a search in my local area and there's loads on there for really reasonable prices.

Could also put a shout out on a local group maybe there's a Facebook homebrew/wine making group in your area?

Also try Gumtree, shpock, Freecycle?

I have about 5 and could definitely part with a few but I'm in Liverpool!

lol thank you for the suggestions. 😊

Do you know anyone who works in a place that has those water fountains dotted round? In work ours are five litre bottles..I think they get returned but it's like anything...if you don't ask...

I have these four if you want them @LisaMC
I got them for free so if the postage works out OK for you I’m happy to send just for the post cost. DM me if you want to discuss. I think 3 are unused.

View attachment 38914View attachment 38915

If you can work out the weight You could try yodel or Hermes for delivery, you just enter 2 post codes and the weight and they give you a quote

If you can work out the weight You could try yodel or Hermes for delivery, you just enter 2 post codes and the weight and they give you a quote
Yep will work it out tomorrow.
I’ve used parcel2go a few times recently, who use DPD, Hermes, Royal Mail and some others. Very decent prices.
https://www.parcel2go.com/

You could also put someone else's address on it from the next street..and ask for it to be put in a "safe place"...you'll find it kicked to death behind your shed!

Don‘t know what you are brewing, but if you step up the volume to around 19 litres per brew, then the bottles that you find on water dispensers make excellent demijohns.

I used to scrounge them from car dealerships and the like.

You also used to be able to get them from eBay for about £3 each.

I fill them initially to around 15 litres, then allow the vigorous part of the fermentation to occur, then top them up with either water, if doing a beer kit, or extra juice if it is turbo cider for example. The actually hold 19.5 litres, when full to the brim. If it’s turbo cider I do the top up in stages.

The tops peel off the vessels and I modified the water outlet with some thick walled rubber tube to get it to take a fermentation trap. The pinky looking vessel has the rubber tubing in the top.

Post fermentation cleaning is fairly easy as most of the crud collects near the top of the neck. This can be reached with a demijohn bottle brush. Thereafter I soak them in percarbonate and hot water to remove the stubborn bits. It usually floats to the top. The get a final rinse out with Starsan solution.

The photo below has an empty, a cider from freshly pressed juice still fermenting, one that is clearing, and one that has cleared, and another that has cleared. The bench in my garage is 20ft long.

I don’t add my volumes brewed to “How many pints in 2020 etc” mainly through embarrassment at the industrial volumes. If I do, then I’m sure 2021 will be a record breaking year.
2417AEF0-3A61-4850-9B33-E4872662772B.jpeg

The pinky one and the half cleared middle one have debris that has settled on the flat part at the top of the handle, but if you wait until they are fully cleared and then tip this away from you and slap the tilted bottle a few times, then most of it gets displaced and slides off and sinks to the bottom. You just have to give it a few more days to fully settle. If you don’t do this, then as you siphon off the liquid, the debris on this shelf gets dragged down into the vessel as the level drops, and you get debris in your final bottles.

I don’t find that I get any bits stuck in the handle as the hot water and percarbonate, oxy wash type of stuff tends to remove any that may have collected there during settling.

As I said if start your brew off at 15 litres, then you are above the top of the handle, so you don’t get any scum in the handle as it collects on the sides above that line.

Ultimately it’s down to trying one. I’ve had mine for over 5 years and never had a dodgy brew through infection.

Back