Best yeast choice for a stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
I know s-04 gets a bit of stick but would this yeast be best for my next stout?

I've done stouts with S04 with good results. What kind of stout are you planning? That should influence what you want from the yeast.

I've done stouts with S04 with good results. What kind of stout are you planning? That should influence what you want from the yeast.
Well im planning on an guiness extra stout from graham wheeler BYOBA book.
Pale malt, flaked barley abd roasted barley
Target hops.

+1 for cml is pale yeast.
Recently did a RIS with 2 packs for a 20litre batch. It coped manfully with the 10.5% brew!

I've used US-05 to make stouts and it's come out well too. As a curve ball, I've also used S-23 lager yeast and it was fantastic. I do tend to stick to English ale yeasts though, I don't think I've actually used S-04 in a stout, not because I don't like it but because I've just not made a recipe with it, instead trying out some liquid yeasts. Anyway, I think S-04 would go well in a stout or porter.

I've used Windsor, WY1762 Belgian Abbey and WLP028 Scottish Ale, even a bit of Brettanomyces Clausenii to add some tartness. As previously stated, many yeasts will do the job as most accentuate maltiness. The main choice is whether you want high or low attenuation, dry or sweet Stout.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I don't think it matters much as there's so much flavour from the stout that any yeast flavours would be swamped out. I've used SO4, US-05 and Gervin. All were fine.

I don't think it matters much as there's so much flavour from the stout that any yeast flavours would be swamped out. I've used SO4, US-05 and Gervin. All were fine.

Not many ways to mess up a stout, TBH, the Coopers Stout kit always got good reviews for this reason.

I'm going to be trying Mangrove Jacks M42 New World Strong Ale in the stout I have planned as my next brew. Excellent reputation for good attenuation, excellent flocculation and been nice and neutral. Not tried it yet though, so less a recommendation than just a passing comment. ;)

I'm going to be trying Mangrove Jacks M42 New World Strong Ale in the stout I have planned as my next brew. Excellent reputation for good attenuation, excellent flocculation and been nice and neutral. Not tried it yet though, so less a recommendation than just a passing comment. ;)

As you know, I've had great results with M36 for more fruity stuff; so M42 looks interesting, but I think it will have to provide something special to beat Wilko's Nottingham in the value stakes when looking for a neutral ale yeast.

Back