Best yeast for brewing an ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druss

Mead Magician
Reaction score
Is an all purpose yeast okay (I have Vinclasse Dried Active yeast) or would an actual ale yeast be significantly better?

An Ale yeast would be a lot better, and depending on the brew a specific ale yeast would be even better. Whats the brew ?

I'm doing a Coopers real ale kit (I think the yeast is already included with that) but I'm also planning on experimenting with simple recipes I found on the net (malt extract, water, sugar and yeast).

Deano Gledson said:
(malt extract, water, sugar and yeast).

Surely you'll also need to use hops?
You can do a hop tea and dissolve the extract towards the end of the boil.

An ale yeast is designed for ale, it will convert the more complex sugars found in beer wort more easily and it will also give the ale its distinctive flavour.

In general Wine yeast for wine Ale yeast for ale, cider yeast for ..................yes I think you have got the jist of it.

If you want to look at doing extract brewing thisis a very good walk through.

:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for all the replies :)

I did wonder about the lack of hops but the recipe doesn't include any ( http://eartheasy.com/eat_homebrew.htm, not sure if I'm allowed to link to other sites here?).

I suppose it does make sense to use an ale yeast but I just wanted to cover all the bases.

You don't have to add hops to beer but I'm not sure it would be beer as we know it. I think that ale originally was beer without hops.

rpt said:
You don't have to add hops to beer but I'm not sure it would be beer as we know it. I think that ale originally was beer without hops.

But it was bittered with other herbs, so it would have been bitter. :thumb:

Back