Better Brew Czech Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to have survived my yeast error. Thick foamy head in fv and airlock bubbling nicely

Ok do this had only been going for 4 days and did a hydrometer test this morning and is down to 1.012 already which with temp corrections works or at 4.9% already. Does this sound right. OG was 1.050. :wha: :wha:

Diggerg said:
Ok do this had only been going for 4 days and did a hydrometer test this morning and is down to 1.012 already which with temp corrections works or at 4.9% already. Does this sound right. OG was 1.050. :wha: :wha:

I had same starting and finishing gravities as yours. I took my readings 11 days apart just because I hadn't time to do any in between. I bottled at 1.012 and had no explosions!

The bubbler airlock had been going nuts the last 2 days but today nothing. Guess I'll leave it a couple of days and do anther reading. Temp in my kitchen has been a steady 20° so not sure if it's done or stalled?

Diggerg said:
Rilers how did you prime yours. My last cider I used carbonation drops.

Batch primed at around 7g/l with Dextrose. Was about right for my taste.

Hi all,

Went to my LBHS today and left with this kit at their advice. They said the 500g LDME and 500 dextrose which seems pretty in line with whats here. Now the thing that stood out was they said not to use the yeast and sold me Muntons Gold Ale Yeast. He didn't really say why though but jsut went with it anyways. Read up on it and it says that the yeast holds together "like jelly" to keep it in the bottom of your bottles FV etc. Thats all great though not sure how this will do for flavour. Any one know this yeast at all?

I've not made this yet as not sure what yeast to use. :electric:

So after 6 days I'm already down to 1.008. Shall I leave it in the fv for the recommended 10 days or just move it to the sv? Think my numbers make it 5.5% @ corrected temp.

Just transferred from my FV to my SV and it is incredibly cloudy. Nice hoppy aroma and good taste just not that great looking. Hoping it clears. Was going to give it a week in SV then see about bottling it.

sounds as if it needs racking into a clean vessel then crash cooling and leaving another 2 weeks before you think of bottling.
Pointless bottling cloudy brews

So its in a clean container. Do I need to worry about infection? It is fitted with a lid with an airlock. Will it be okay sat in this for 2 weeks to clear?

will be fine under airlock for a few weeks if you rack it off all the trub.
You want it as cool as you can get it, to help the yeasts drop out, do what and put it where you can, a brew fridge would be ideal but you have to use what youve got.

Base said:
Hi all,

Went to my LBHS today and left with this kit at their advice. They said the 500g LDME and 500 dextrose which seems pretty in line with whats here. Now the thing that stood out was they said not to use the yeast and sold me Muntons Gold Ale Yeast. He didn't really say why though but jsut went with it anyways. Read up on it and it says that the yeast holds together "like jelly" to keep it in the bottom of your bottles FV etc. Thats all great though not sure how this will do for flavour. Any one know this yeast at all?

I've not made this yet as not sure what yeast to use. :electric:
Can anyone help with my post above?

Base, I can't help with the yeast side of things as I used the supplied one. I did however user 700g dextrose left over from my cider and 500g of extra light spraymalt. Fermented down from 1.050 to 1.008 so worked well. :cheers:

Going to ask the Farm Shop next door if I can put it in their walk in fridge. Hopefully that'll help clear it

High guys just brewed this kit today, I am right in thinking (1st ever homebrew) I leave it for 10 days to ferment, syphon into a clean bucket, add the cleaner stuff, then wait to settle and then bottle?cheers Phil

Ok do I got round to bottling this tonight after it being at in the shed 2 weeks. Looked nice and clear smelt great and tasted pretty good to considering it wasn't carbonated. Only minor hiccup wad that from my first box of 24 500 ml coopers bottles 5 had pin prick holes in the bottom :evil: :nono: still I managed to get 43 bottles from my batch. Primed with 1 coopers drop per bottle and now sitting in the warm for 2 weeks before moving out to the shed again. Looking forward to trying this when it's done. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back