Better Brew, IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled one of these 8 week's ago. Did with a 1kg of muntons beer enhancer and 500g of x lite spraymalt. Dry hopped with 40g of Citra and 40g of Centennial. It's about 6.5% and tastes unbelievable.

warnie said:
warnie said:
Brewed this with Muntons brew enhancer last sunday, it's now down to 1014 from 1046og, necked the sample as per usual and can already tell that this is going to be a beauty! I loved my coopers IPA but this tastes a lot better at this early stage. So fingers crossed

:cheers:

This came out in the end at 5.2%, and after 10 days in the warm the bottles are lovely and firm with hardly any sediment in the bottom, and to top it off they're perfectly clear!.

Tried 4 last night, really impressed! As I said clear as a pub pint, great mouth feel and a great long lasting creamy white head. Taste wise its not yet as good as my coopers IPA but its only had 10 days conditioning, I'll leave them now for a few weeks and I'm sure it will be my best brew yet.

:cheers:

This is nearly 3 months in the bottle now and I've got 5 bottles left to drink. Must say that it never did get as good as my coopers IPA. The flavour just never developed, so I've been drinking it just to clear the bottles. It did look better though and had a better head and mouth feel than the coopers but the actual taste that never quite made it for me.

I brewed this to 18l with a kilo of extra light & a hop aroma bag. It's only in the bottles about 11 days but i had to try one after my year sabbatical away from HB :)
It's still obviously very green but, There is a pleasant hop boost from it being short & still a few pleasant milder flavours coming through afterwards. Pretty good so far will obviously benefit enormously from a decent period of conditioning but don't know if i'll wait that long... :thumb:

Rilers said:
Brewed this one last night to 20 litres with 1kg light spraymalt and no sugar - OG 1052. Planning on dry hopping after primary fermentation is finished. Sitting happily at 22C because of mini heat-wave here in Ireland and bubbling away nicely!

Tried this last night. Bottled a few (6 I think) without dry-hopping and then dry-hopped the rest for about 10 days with 40g of East Kent Goldings. Came out at just over 6% Definitely glad I dry-hopped - the flavour difference is immediately obvious. Would be happy to pay for this down the pub and will definitely brew this one again with a hop addition.

I did a "betterbrew" IPA kit.
I have a standard fv barrel,
and bottled it.
I used a kg of brewing sugar
Siphoned into bottles after 2 weeks.
Left for a further 2 weeks and started drinking.
I did half with a teaspoon of sugar as the 2nd ferment
Half with 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar.
They have turned out ok, but quite dark in colour and a bit tangy.
I am probably 4 weeks after bottling now.
This was my first brew so nothing to compare to yet.........

This was brew #5 for me(of 9 now) and followed the OP's method though used brewferm light lme, a couple of lumps of dark sugar and 30g of chinook pellets. Cracking pint already, bottled on the 12/10, ended up at 5.7%. Good malty base with the smokiness of the chinook hops, which ends up like tasting like an American IPA, almost like Tommyknocker - PIck Axe IPA due to the maltiness, one I've had a few times recently. Clear as a bell, head is already holding with lacing and with a good body and mouthfeel on this.

If it keeps on improving while conditioning I'll no doubt do this one again, maybe with a different hop.

1j3k.jpg

This is my last bottle.
Not as impressive as I had hoped, but I put that down to it being my first brew.

be5979fec3ea008b80a003dc32a0ac59.jpg

I really want to try this kit. There are so many variations in here though! I think I want to ditch the dextrose and add spray malt and perhaps some brew enhancer? Also want to add some hoppyness but all I've made before is dider(and that's still maturing in the shed) so have zero experience. Can someone help please? Hop tea or dry hop? Can someone give me some custom instructions?

Anyone that's a fan of The Better Brew IPA I'd recommend trying it with some Goldings/Fuggles finishing hop pellets. The only better result I've had is from its big brother kit Bulldog Brews Raja's Reward India Pale Ale which use's the same finishing hops. I put my hop's in about half way through but Next time going to try putting them in near the end to get an even better nose.

I started mine yesterday, it took around 12h for the yeast to start working properly. As I understood this comes with not 'fast-fermenting' yeast, so the start might be a bit slow compared to other yeasts which come with kits. I did it with 1 kg of beer enhancer, added some Willamette hops to the wort and looking good so far. Can't wait to taste it! :drink:

Whats the best temp for this? I have a stick on lcd thermometer thats reading between 22-24c? Hasnt dropped since i added the yeast yesterday and has been bubbling like mad from 3hrs after i finished putting it together. Seems to be faster than others on here?

Its sitting in a dark corner of the coolest room in the house. Ive even had the window open in there today.

Also, is there any issues of leaving it in the fv a few days after its finished? Just i work away mon-fri so timing could be off.

Thanks.

Markdon said:
Whats the best temp for this? I have a stick on lcd thermometer thats reading between 22-24c? Hasnt dropped since i added the yeast yesterday and has been bubbling like mad from 3hrs after i finished putting it together. Seems to be faster than others on here?

Its sitting in a dark corner of the coolest room in the house. Ive even had the window open in there today.

Also, is there any issues of leaving it in the fv a few days after its finished? Just i work away mon-fri so timing could be off.

Thanks.

Mine was brewed at 20-21c, 16 days in the fv before bottling. Kit instructions are pretty useless in the main regarding fermenting times in my limited opinion. Having done the bb czech pils as well I would say 14 days minimum before even thinking about it as the yeast took an age to ferment fully out after the initial flurry.

Well chuffed with mine, keeps on getttng better. :drink:

Bottled tonight. Got 40 500ml (few 568ml too), samples the dregs, although sweet from the batch prime, i could have drank the lot. Excited for my first ale brewed, might have one bottle with my crimbo dinner, but save the rest til mid jan at the earliest.

Only been bottled for 2 weeks but I had to try some last nite ,wow it's lovely,great head all the way down sooo nice,I'm brewing another .I used 1kg light spraymalt 400 dex topped up to 20ltrs....lush

Back