Better Brew, Midland Mild Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcountry pie

Reaction score
Being a mild fanatic i had to try this brew,and im glad i did.Made with 1kg of dark spraymalt.a lovely session beer its the best mild ive brewed so far everyone who has tried it loves it even my wife and she doesnt like dark beer as a rule,no joke its better than most milds ive tried from pubs.ill or make this beer my usual brew.If you want good a session beer or a fan of milds then give this a go im sure you wont be dissapionted. cheers
pie. :drink:

Tried a couple of glasses of this last night with my dinner , it's only been kegged 5 days so I was amazed how good it was.
I brewed it with a 1.5kg can of Coopers amber malt extract and primed with 100g of sugar.

Being from the Black Country I was weaned on Highgate ( or eyegut where I used to live ) Banks and Hansons Mild. This was probably the finest drink of mild I've ever had , I won't be disappointed if it doesn't get any better as I think it's almost impossible for it to taste better.

I believe the HBS in Studley has had some poor feedback on this which is hard to comprehend after sampling some of mine ,so if anyone's thinking of brewing some of this I would definitely recommend adding either DriedM.E. or preferably Liquid M.E. to it.

As it happens...

...mine is a week and a bit into bottle conditioning and I brewed it with an additional 1.5kg LME.

I will, of course, be back to tell you all how it's panned out! :)

I was less than impressed with this kit. Brewed with 1 k BKA, I found it rather underwhelming, more like a light ale with a definite home brew twang... Still, others have had nothing but good to say about it, the only way to find out if it suits you is to brew it yourself. I shall stick to Coopers Dark with 500g DME and 500g demerara.

doyley said:
I was less than impressed with this kit. Brewed with 1 k BKA, I found it rather underwhelming, more like a light ale with a definite home brew twang... Still, others have had nothing but good to say about it, the only way to find out if it suits you is to brew it yourself. I shall stick to Coopers Dark with 500g DME and 500g demerara.

BKA?

Opened the "two week, judge the potential" bottle a few nights ago.

I brewed the kit with 1.5kg of Brupaks standard Liquid Malt Extract (as is my preference for all non-two-can kits now...) and no other modifications.

It is the embodiment of malty indulgence. Residual malt sweetness may fade over time with further conditioning but there is easily enough there that a decent maltiness should remain. Bittering is nice, but maybe a touch overwhelmed at this stage by that residual sweetness.

It is surprisingly like a young Wherry.

I reckon with a bit of appropriate hop-boiling and dry hopping and a larger dose of extra malt and maybe a tiny choc malt steep, you could easily turn this into something like a hobgoblin. :thumb:

Anyway, another really good beer from Better Brew/Hambleton Bard. More follows in a month or so...

This was my first brew, made it with 1kg of BKE and just bottled it at the weekend. From the sneaky sample I tested, I've got high hopes for its flavour once it's conditioned. The kit suggested that the abv would be 4.1% - my og was too low for that so only got 3.6%. Not sure how I ended up that much lower but mustn't grumble...

End result is 44 bottles conditioning in the kitcken cupboards before I move them to the shed for a fortnight. As if 14 days in the fv hadn't tryed my patience enough, I've got to wait another 3 weeks to drink them! :?

Latest posts

Back