Better Brew, Northern Brown Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Low Farm

Reaction score
Irishstout001-1.jpg

On reflection this was my fourth beer kit after a 23 year lay off I think I brewed this because I was looking for a Newcastle Brown Ale type.
I brew this with some great expectations I got this kit from Grimsby Home brew http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/bee...beer-kits/better-brew-northern-brown-ale.html
Brew date was the 8th of May the kit was very easy though some what expensive £14.99 plus the brewing sugar £1.99 per Kg in to the brew cupboard at a constant 21°C
Total cost of £16.98 avenged cost of 42.4 pence per pint I followed enclosed instructions pretty idiot proof thoug the packaging is generic there are a number of beers with the same instructions so you have to pick out what is relivent to you WARNING Typo at instruction 6 "bottle or keg at day 10 not 14 as instructions"

day 8 Hydrometer reading was 1014 day 10 same reading primed the keg with 85g of sugar dissolved in boiling water and cooled on day10 the 18th of May

It had a week in the brew cupboard at 21°C to carbonate and it did clear nicely and the test sample were very nice 25Th May out of the cupboard into the shed for some cold conditioning

6 days later we have vast improvement in the sweetness and the flavour though advertised as "Smooth, relatively dry and with a brown amber colour. A nutty aftertaste with a hint of fruitiness."
i found it a bit heavy on the caramel flavouring thought very smooth it is lively so a slow pour is necessary it has good colour and is clear on pouring form the king keg

To be continued ........

Hi Low farm. I've just got this on the go today. What was your starting gravity mine was 1059 i thought that was quite high. the temp at the time of reading was 21c. Anyway after some 6 hours in fv it's starting to gurgle.
:cheers:

This was my second kit and it was fantastic. Much better than my Coopers Canadian Blonde. Was a fantastic pint and was well sad when I drank the last bottle. Had left it a month conditioning in the bottle before I tried the first and it only got better with age. I made it up with BE2 but up to 24l by accident, was counting the bottles of water going in instead of watching the marks on the fermenter.

I'm still supping this and it is getting better with age [like most brews i suppose] It now has a very distinctive toffee taste smooth on the palet goes down well. Very much worth a punt.

Regards.
CIB

Put this on on Oct 9th sg 1049 10 days later took a gravity reading today 1020 at 18c so a bit to go yet. Did not waste the trial jar so supped it. It has a slight sweet taste but what was distinctive and swombo agreed it had a distinct syrup tatse which was nice on the pallet. It tasted very good at this early stage. So everything is looking fine for this one and i can't wait. Colour lived up to its name very brown.

my second go with this. And wow it's as good as the one last year i did. Still young yet buttemptation got the better of me. Caramel after taste is ace . Going to tick this on my list of must haves for winter.

Hi all,

I am just about to bottle this. It is my first brew. its been in the fermentor for 15 days at 20*C. It had been bubbling up until day 12, just hadn't time to bottle sooner.
I am a bit concerned about the taste. i tasted it at 10 days and it wasn't great. A lot of strong flavors and a bitter after tastes. I tasted it again last night and it has improved a bit, though im hoping it improves dramatically after a few weeks in the bottle or else its getting dumped.
Am i worried for nothing? What is it supposed to taste like before bottling?

cheers

Back