BIAB Ruby Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a few days off and with the weather being too rubbish to do anything in the garden I thought I would brew Greg Hughes Ruby Mild. Pg 165.

10l brew so reduced grain totals accordingly.

Marris Otter 2kg
Crystal Malt 65g
Chocolate Malt 65g
Torrified Malt 55g

Mash in at 72c held at around 66c for 1 hour.

Raised the temp to 75 held for 10 mins, took the bag out and rinsed with a few litres of water at around 70c, poured that into stock pot till it's approximately 11l for the boil.

12g Goldings at 60mins.
6g Goldings at turn off.

Popped the pot into sink full of cold water and connected the wort chiller, after 25 mins i'd got it down to 25c so siphoned into the FV.

OG 0f 1050.

I couldn't find any ringwood ale yeast so used a Danstar British ale yeast. Pitched at 22c.

All done in under 4 hours, i'm getting better at this!

I brewed 11.5 litres of this same recipe. I increased the hops a bit, but still turned out a classic Ruby mild.
My first Greg Hughes recipe. Very pleased with it.

Bottled this one up today, 150g of brown sugar boiled for 10, into the bottle bucket, got 9l (18 500ml bottles) in total which I was quite pleased with.

An FG of 1018 a bit higher than what I was expecting but it had stayed that way for the last 3 days. ABV of 4.4%

Taste - a little lacking in 'mouthfeel' perhaps but definitely has a hint of chocolate and a nice bitter aftertaste.

Is that not rather a lot of sugar?

Just checked the notes from when I bottled my GH mild (20 x 500ml, so similar yield to yours) and I used 28g white table sugar dissolved in 210ml water.

This gave about 1.55-1.60 vols CO2.

You might have a problem here, that's almost 17g/l of priming sugar. 2.5 vol of CO2 normally lands about the 6.5g/l region. A recent pale ale my mate brewed only needed 120g in 23L.

I'm not sure the best way forward, others will probably advise too, but I'm thinking these bottles are going to need vented a lot. Might even be worth risking the oxidation of decanting them back into an FV, better than exploding bottles which I'm pretty sure is what that amount of sugar will cause.

Balls... Really not sure why i did that, i thought it was a lot of sugar but didn't twig.

Ok, so the bottles are under the stairs, if they explode it be a simple clean up and no danger to anyone. I'm not sure i want to put back in fv, simply because of the extra work, not sure its worth it. If i was to vent them, open the top and crimp it back on how often do you reckon i should do it, once a week?

I'm not sure the best way forward, others will probably advise too, but I'm thinking these bottles are going to need vented a lot. Might even be worth risking the oxidation of decanting them back into an FV, better than

Yep, done this decanting lark before, no issues. Maybe a JFDI, mate. May be a pain to do it, but the pain of mopping up gushers is worse. An explosion is just worth avoiding. Anywhere near the face - ugh!

So, armed with safety goggles and gloves I vented the bottles today, one cap came off completely and went like a volcano for 5 mins, the rest were ok, I think I was saved by the relatively low temps under the stairs. I drank what was left of the one that popped. Tasty!

Latest posts

Back