BIAB Setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjas

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am looking for some words of wisdom regarding a BIAB setup. I am very new to brewing and have brewed a couple of kits with success and would like to get in to AG brewing. I have read a lot of information on here about AG brewing and think BIAB is the way to go for me at this time. I am not sure what size kit to get though? I have an induction hob in my kitchen but am worried about not being able to get a decent rolling boil in a large pot. I could buy a gas burner set up but not sure if this would be more expensive with having to purchase burners, gas bottles etc. I don't mind a small set up, but think it would be better if I can brew larger batches.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

Jas

I use a 30L electric boiler - you can use it for full 5 gallon (23L) brews but it's a bit small really. However, it only cost me eighty odd quid plus about a tenner for a large size BIAB bag. And other than an FV, thermometer and hydrometer that's all you need.
I made the switch to AG at the beginning of last year and the difference in the beer is amazing.

I am looking for some words of wisdom regarding a BIAB setup. I am very new to brewing and have brewed a couple of kits with success and would like to get in to AG brewing. I have read a lot of information on here about AG brewing and think BIAB is the way to go for me at this time. I am not sure what size kit to get though? I have an induction hob in my kitchen but am worried about not being able to get a decent rolling boil in a large pot. I could buy a gas burner set up but not sure if this would be more expensive with having to purchase burners, gas bottles etc. I don't mind a small set up, but think it would be better if I can brew larger batches.

Thanks

Jas

If you want to produce larger batches thats is fine you just need to decide what setup is bests for you gas burner or electric boiler.. Both have their pros and cons but both work fine.

Like above post he uses a 30l boiler..

What I do is have a gas burner (propane tank) and a 50L pot and do full volume BIAB no sparge.. Similar but different ways to achieve the same thing..

You have made a good decision too, the difference is huge.

I too made the switch last year and you won't regret it. Many on here, including myself use the homebrew company BIAB kit as it's a good starting point and is excellent value.
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...iler-chiller-mashing-bag-mash-kit-p-2426.html

Although it's out of stock at the moment I'm sure it will be available again soon. Like Cwrw666 I feel my boiler is a bit small to do a full mash but I tend to split mine and do a sparge.

There is also the option of adapting a tea urn type boiler, buying a big ready made electric stainless pot or buying a big pot and a gas burner for your heat source. It really depends on where you want to brew and how much money you want to spend.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be delighted with the quality of the beer you can produce.

Same here, I use the HBC kit. I'm two BIABs in and very happy with it. Only gripe is that you have to buy the hop filter separately, and it dislodged on the first batch and clogged on the second.

Same here, I use the HBC kit. I'm two BIABs in and very happy with it. Only gripe is that you have to buy the hop filter separately, and it dislodged on the first batch and clogged on the second.

Get making a hop spider. It will change your life.

I got a 25L electric boiler super cheap off Gumtree. It's quite old but does the job (although I might replace it for my 2017 brews).

I can get a 20L batch out of it if I do a dunk sparge.

I'm with Covrich on this one. Propane gas burner (15 quid or so on eBay) plus your initial cost for a cylinder, around 30 quid, and a 50L SS pot with tap and hop filter, around 80 quid and a decent grain bag, I paid 20 quid for mine. This allows full true BIAB brewing, ie no sparge, so requires an initial volume of 33L or so with enough head space for the hot break, which is a bit difficult with the electric boilers.
That said, it helps if you have some outside space such as a well ventilated shed.

As others have said, the difference in quality is enormous. Careful though, as it can become an all consuming hobby ........!:whistle:

I got the peco kit from the homebrew company although I have to do a separate dunk sparge for a full batch I'm very happy with it and would highly recommended it as a starting kit .
5 brews in and the beers great ☺

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Jas
Seeing as I seem to have bought the grain father on sale here, then I might have a 33L pot with tap and bazooka filter, a gas burner and other bits and biab bobs for sale...would let you do 10-20L batches.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will go down the electric boiler route. The ace boiler looks good value for money and the reviews on the thread on this forum is an interesting read with lots of good feedback from people that have bought one. I was looking at just buying a large pot and doing some stove top BIAB, but I think I would soon want to up the quantities. With the boiler I can brew in the conservatory without upsetting the rest of the household.......

Jas

Back