BIAB technique with re-circulation and sparge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've mentioned this on a few threads and thought it might be useful to write it up in the how to section, but this is how I manage my BIAB technique to include wort recirculation and standard sparging (as opposed to squeezing or dunk sparging).

It takes a bit longer than standard biabing, but the advantages are good efficiency, no squeezing, less trub from the grain bag and overall clearer wort. Whether that translates into better beer, I couldn't tell you. But I like what I make.

It uses the same equipment as most will be using for standard home brew scale batches (up to about 20L) but obviously can scale up and down with your equipment:
- 33L pot with tap, hop filter and false bottom (tap and false bottom are the important features)
- grain bag
- the usual other brewing paraphernalia

I'm assuming you'll have all your grain etc weighed out.

I use biabcalculator.com to calculate all water volumes, plus a bit of guesswork.

1: heat mash water
To about 72-75c. I don't have any temp control as I use gas, so I just measure this with a thermometer. My false bottom is in the pan at this stage. It's a circular cake rack, which keeps the bag off the hop filter. Take off the heat. Put bag in.

2: dough in
I scoop out the grain from whatever it's all in, and sort of chop it with a paddle to break up any balls. Stir it well once all the grain is in to ensure an even temperature. Check temp is whatever you're mashing at (67c if in doubt or the recipe doesn't specify). If I have to adjust I use the kettle or cold tap water rather than put it back on the gas.

3. Mash
When I'm happy I have the right temp, I just put the lid on the pot and cover the whole thing with a double duvet. Rustic, but the mash doesn't drop a degree.

Leave for however long the mash needs. I might give it a stir halfway but usually I don't bother now.

4. Drain the wort
This is where things start to differ from typical biab. At this point, with the grain bag still in, I open the tap on the pot and drain all the wort into an fv.

5. Recirculate
Leaving the tap open, and using a second fv to catch the wort, I pour (with a jug for big batches, or just tip from fv for smaller batches) the wort back into the pot, over the grain. This process filters the grain trub from the wort, which runs back out into the second fv again.

6. Sparge
I usually just heat sparge water using the kettle (cup of tea kettle, not brew kettle!) and the cooker while the mash is on. Get it to 80c. Again leaving the tap open on the pot I just slowly pour over the sparge water, letting it run into the fv.

Once this is done, close the tap, and lift out the grain bag. Don't tip up the pot to get the last bits of wort out, as any remaining grainy bits will come through the tap.

I don't now squeeze it or faff about, let it drain off (but don't use any remaining wort that comes out unless it look clear). Just dispose of the grains. Take out the false bottom if it's not integrated into your pot.

Your fv should now have lovely clear wort with minimal trub.

7. Boil
Clean the pot, add the wort back in, bring to the boil. Add your hops etc and boil as required.

The rest is then as you'd expect...chill as you would, add yeast...etc.

I'll try and take some photos next brew day, as a picture is worth a thousand words, and I've probably written more than that already.

Hope it helps someone!

Great thread. Pictures would be great. I thought of something like this whilst brewing at the weekend. I have two boilers so I can get larger quantities of sparge water ready.

ta, give it a go. It's a matter of opinion whether it's worth the hassle, but I see it as a halfway house between normal biab and a three vessel set up. You're achieving much the same goals.

This almost exactly describes the way I do it. Except I have a peco boiler, so i do have temperature control and I use a syphon to sparge.

Been wondering if there's a way to tweak this by transferring jug-fulls into a pot I can syphon from in order to recirculate, try and disturb the grain a little less. Think I haven't got enough arms.

My first batch I had really muddy looking wort and the beer took a week after bottling to clear, so I did a recirculate on the next few and even with squeezing the **** out of the bag I get much cleaner wort and the beer cleared nicely before bottling.

How much longer does it take?

Hard to say precisely, but maybe 30-45m

Of course batch size has a lot to do with it. I typically do 10-15L.

There's also more time management involved as while your boil is on you have to be getting your sparge water ready. I brew in the shed and everything else happens in the house so there's a lot of traipsing around with thermometers.

Cheers for that. Ive just posted up asking for tips. This certainly helps.

Thanks
John

Interesting I could potentially do this still at / after mash out time

Basically I would drain it into a FV pour back over the grains whilst I have it continuing to drain into another fV.. remove grain bag and then dump back in the pot.. I might give this a try

I will say this though my wort in my admittedly expensiveish BIAB Bag comes out very very clear when transferring, its only when scraping the hop filters for the last few liters does it become none translucent..

Reading online people talk about grain husks leaking into their wort? I don't get that I used to on cheap paint strainers.. I cannot imagine it is that though.

Improved efficiency and no squeezing.. I wonder if I have to adjust water calculations for that.. Out of curiosity what efficiency do you get? Not nesscarily looking to up it.. I get 70-75% roughly with just BIAB no sparge.. and how long does this process add do you think to your brew day?

Interesting I could potentially do this still at / after mash out time

Basically I would drain it into a FV pour back over the grains whilst I have it continuing to drain into another fV.. remove grain bag and then dump back in the pot.. I might give this a try

I will say this though my wort in my admittedly expensiveish BIAB Bag comes out very very clear when transferring, its only when scraping the hop filters for the last few liters does it become none translucent..

Reading online people talk about grain husks leaking into their wort? I don't get that I used to on cheap paint strainers.. I cannot imagine it is that though.

Improved efficiency and no squeezing.. I wonder if I have to adjust water calculations for that.. Out of curiosity what efficiency do you get? Not nesscarily looking to up it.. I get 70-75% roughly with just BIAB no sparge.. and how long does this process add do you think to your brew day?

I've never properly measured efficiency but I know it's improved a bit with this technique as before using it I would always be a few points below target. Not hugely below, but consistently. Using this method I've hit target twice in a row.

I use biabcalculator.com for volumes but I adjust for sparging. Tbh I make up the sparge volumes. For a 12L batch I use about 5 L sparge water and try to get 16-17L in the pan for the boil. That's got me pretty much spot on og and volume in the fv. So there's a bit of educated guesswork. I really ought to document the adjustments so I can work out the right volumes for any size brew but it never occurs to me til it's too late.

I'd say it adds 30-45m to brew day.

I did it to reduce the crud going into the fv, if you find you don't have much anyway this might not be worth the hassle. It might not make any difference to the final beer but I like the clear wort so I do it.

Latest posts

Back