BIAB thoughts...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spudhead94

Reaction score
Evening all, I’m looking at doing small batch all grain brews (12L yield) and i’m aware of buying stock pots etc but there’s issues surrounding maintaining heat control and trying to maintain a certain temp. That’s when I thought why can’t I just do a BIAB with a tea run or a “sparge water heater” the temp control will be more accurate and it’s a lot less stress about having to worry all the time if you’re losing or gaining heat!

Has anyone done this before?

After getting my grain stirred in I put my kettle in my 170F pre-heated oven. Easily holds temp for 75 minutes.

All the Best,
D. White

I use my sous vide - stick the wand on the side of the pot stays at whatever temp you want - cost about 40 quid

That’s the joy of BIAB it can all be done with hardly any kit - cheap, cheerful easy.

But don't rely on the thermostat on a water boiler to be anywhere near accurate. For mashing I set mine about 10c below mash temperature and I still often have to add cold water to get it right.

I used to BIAB in a powered off tea urn wrapped a big old coat round it, barely dropped a degree over the 60 minute mash. Much more effective at maintaining temperature than my current cool box mash tun :?:

I've only done 2 BIAB brews but I insulated my kettle (15L stock pot) with radiator foil and wrapped it in a winter coat and it only dropped about 1.5 degrees in an hour.

Mine is wrapped in a used camping mat, two jumpers beyond redemption, a towel and some old pyjamas...

Latest posts

Back