BIABasket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QED

Reaction score
The UK single vessel market seems to be much more directed to the likes of Grainfather and HopCat style and doesn't seem to have the variety of BIABasket solutions that the US and Australia does.

The type of solutions that Clawhammer (expensive) and Cheekypeak supply. They are appealing as the quality of the vessels are much more robust than the SS used on the Klarstein types and the vessels reusable if your system expands into a 2 or 3v setup.

It seems like a missed opportunity for a UK company to just create stainless steel baskets for the inside of vessels of different sizes and it could be sold as a BIABasket solution.

Wouldn't mind hearing peoples thoughts on those solutions or if anyone knows of a UK based company that manufactures similar? I'd be ordering the 125 litre Cheekypeak tomorrow if it was available!

(I know that you can get a basket from Wish or Ali Express however it seems to come in 1 size only and not matched to a vessel)

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=+biabasket

Love the idea of using this instead of a bag for a stove top brew., looks like it could be a much cleaner process and easier to stir the grain. Anyone tried that? Or are the baskets too flimsy to hold a decent weight of grains?

I've been looking at just getting spare parts for existing brewers to make my own Frankenstein's monster of a system...

The other thing I've considered is building it myself. It would be finer welding than anything I've done before, but there are some fabrication shops that would probably do it for a reasonable fee if I supplied materials.

The other thing I've considered is building it myself. It would be finer welding than anything I've done before, but there are some fabrication shops that would probably do it for a reasonable fee if I supplied materials
I've asked a mate if he would give me a price for building one to spec. He's bought a Tig welder and is looking for some jobs to practise.

@foxy You’re my only hope
1596234164796.gif

Cheekypeak nano. Know anyone using one. Thinking of importing one to the UK.

I'd like to see more on the market, that said, it's hard to compete for price. You can get a fairly decent BIAB bag for £20 that would fit up to a 50l pot. I think what would benefit a cage system most would be an ingenious way to sit it on top of the pot without fear of toppling it, whilst being able to sparge without it going everywhere.

What sort of price were you thinking of?

Looking to do 100 litre batches and have a budget up to £1500 for kit.

Surely you could find a good fabricators who could design and build you this to your specifications for less then a fifth of that.

Out of interest what does the rest of your set up look like? What powers your kettle (gas/induction etc)

Out of interest what does the rest of your set up look like? What powers your kettle (gas/induction etc)
Using a 30 litre burco for a mixture of extract and all grain using a bag but need to upscale. Was considering the 65l HopCat but something bigger and more robust would be better.

I've never used the system, but it looks great. For that money you should be able to have the system with all the bells and whistles, along with SS fermenters, a Keezer and whatever else you fancy. I believe @foxy has this system, so can advise on its quality.

There's 1, but out of stock right now: Brew Builder. Price puts most folks off, as you still need to build your own vessel for it to go in, controller etc. It quickly ends up costing more than just buying an all in one system. Been there, done that, and I just used BIAB bags and a false bottom... It still cost more.

I am building a larger BIAB system. i really want a spike brewing ebasket , but they wont ship to the uk. like you said their isnt a lot to choose from here.

Im using a brew builder 70l pot. and building my own controller. it has a smartpid m5 pro in it.

Last time I saw somebody build a big system with a malt basket, they gave up trying to source a basket and just bought a smaller pot to go inside the bigger one. They then cut holes in the bottom of the smaller one and fitted stainless mesh into the bottom (or you could get a false bottom to fit from Powell brewing and remove the legs to do the same job and know it's not going to rust etc). I think they called it something like the maltmother or something like that? Might still be a thread on here about it. Found it The MaltMother.

Last time I saw somebody build a big system with a malt basket, they gave up trying to source a basket and just bought a smaller pot to go inside the bigger one. They then cut holes in the bottom of the smaller one and fitted stainless mesh into the bottom (or you could get a false bottom to fit from Powell brewing and remove the legs to do the same job and know it's not going to rust etc). I think they called it something like the maltmother or something like that? Might still be a thread on here about it. Found it The MaltMother.
That's pretty cool. @cerbera84 are you still using that setup?

That's pretty cool. @cerbera84 are you still using that setup?

I'm not using that setup right now, I still have it just in case I want to use it again in the future. It's made from a Bergland 33 ltr stockpot inside a 50 ltr pot. Used a Qmax to make some large holes and fitted stainless legs to raise it above the elements. I did replace the stainless perforated sheet with a domed false bottom with a silicone seal, as grain used to get stuck under the perforated sheet. I even swapped to a biab mesh bag in the end, as that worked pretty well too, good flow rates.

I am building a larger BIAB system. i really want a spike brewing ebasket , but they wont ship to the uk. like you said their isnt a lot to choose from here.

Im using a brew builder 70l pot. and building my own controller. it has a smartpid m5 pro in it.

Hi, how did you get on with the SmartPID controller? I've been looking into it recently but its hard to come by examples of controller builds.

I moved from BIAB to a 45L hopcat and still treat it and use the same BIAB process .. Single full mash infusion in the basket just with a recirculation going thats all.

I’m using a tea urn setup. Did you guys build overflows into the baskets to stop a boil dry incident? I only used basket on stovetop at lower volumes so there wasnt so much of an issue there.

Back