BIG ADVICE NEEDED

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishwizard

Regular.
Reaction score
Im off to Scotland in the new year via Kendal, where my business partner has stuff I need. Together we are moving a lot of gubbins up to Scotland where we are setting up a cafe and guided walking business. Naturally now seems the best time to set things up. Anyway, to the point, I need to buy a decent used, low mileage van. What do you think are the best - FORD TRANSIT - MERC - RENAULT - VW.
The van may be left in Kendal over the summer period so I need something with proven reliability. Let me know your opinions- Thanks

Iv got a Ford transit connect, had it 7 years now and never had any trouble. Bought it second hand from jersey post so there was a few miles on it. I’m usually away 3 months every year (pre covid) for winter and it’s always starts 1st time when I’m back. 1.8 engine and not too greedy on the diesel.

I've had two Connects, both the LWB version. Both great vans though the gearbox went on the second one.

If you can stretch to it VW are solid and hold their value well if you look after them.
I've got the LWB kombi transporter, has side windows and 3 seat bench that folds down and loads of room
for tools etc behind. Eventually I will convert it to a camper.

Decent vans are hard to find, especially at the moment.
I'd look for service history, bills/invoices for work done - it's fine to ask a seller if they have these.
That and miles done, bodywork etc. are more important than the make ( depending on your budget of course ).

Unless you need a certain van because of it's load capacity
For example you'd struggle to get a full sheet of 8'x 4' in a Connect.
That said you're in a lower insurance bracket with the smaller vans so don't get bigger than you need.

Good luck with the business, sounds great !

Aside from the obvious, one thing to consider when buying is how well the machine has been taken care of by the previous owner.
I buy only used cars and I've not missed the mark with a seller who's kept records and pays attention to maintenance schedule.
Also, I skip the vehicles where the seller's listing has the "over-sell" feel to it or inflated talking points or the cliché, car-salesman stuff. Basically, when sellers do that, it makes me think they're lying about something. So, for example, someone selling a car for $4, 995 gets automatically passed on because even that is a trick--$5 less is going to make a difference?

OK - thanks guys - Im definitely after a LWB because of all the clobber Im picking up from Kendal, which has been in storage.
Right next decision is colour - do I just go white or maybe blue. Definitely dont want black!! WDYT??

Back