Big beer is selling off their UK Craft Beer breweries?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the subject of craft breweries......

One that started up a couple of years ago on the Wirral is doing well.

Glen Affric link

They brew quite a range of craft beers, the ones I've tried have actually been rather nice. Maybe give them a few years and some big brewery will buy them out and formulate all the flavour out of them because the accountants have too much say. The beers will stop selling, the brewery will lose its good name and will go the way of those in the OP.

Cheers Tom

On the subject of craft breweries......

One that started up a couple of years ago on the Wirral is doing well.

Glen Affric link

They brew quite a range of craft beers, the ones I've tried have actually been rather nice. Maybe give them a few years and some big brewery will buy them out and formulate all the flavour out of them because the accountants have too much say. The beers will stop selling, the brewery will lose its good name and will go the way of those in the OP.

Cheers Tom
Have you tried love lane, I called in for a pint my last visit.

I am heading to Liverpool this weekend, it will be hard to get a decent pint in the city centre. European lager's seem to be the big seller's. If I want a craft beer I will have to hunt about
Go to the ship and mitre, plenty to choose from there ;)

There's always the Excelsior on the next corner up too.
As far as I know Dead Crafty is still going

Cheers Tom
But avoid the Dispensary. I was there two weeks ago. Since the previous management left of their own accord. The beer there is awful now. Avoid and save your money.

Also check out the head of steam in Liverpool. First bar I found beavertown in and has a great selection of craft ales. Well off topic this thread now 😂

Back on topic I think it’s just a market correction. Whilst I love craft beer most people I know don’t and are happy with lager. I think there will always be a loyal demographic that apreciate craft beer and whilst it’s not insignificant in size it’s never going to be massive.

big fan of saucery by the way and my hazy house beer is based on it.

Back on topic I think it’s just a market correction. Whilst I love craft beer most people I know don’t and are happy with lager. I think there will always be a loyal demographic that apreciate craft beer and whilst it’s not insignificant in size it’s never going to be massive.

Yeah I really rate Saucery, it's my favourite supermarket session.

I ve scanned the thread and I personally believe they can't expand it. Beaverton with Heineken can put it in loads of pubs and I see more and more friends asking for it. Then I will say try XX by a local brewery and normally they like that too.

Personally ive never seen Magic Rock in a pub Newcastle way. So unless you try it in a supermarket, amoungst the huge selection it gets lost.

Last edited:

I think the big breweries that buy up an established craft brewery are just being greedy. They see their own market share being nibbled away and some bright spark on the board thinks, we could do that.
They buy the smaller brewery, mess things around a bit and realise that people are no longer interested in their beers. Not because craft is a fad but because they've ruined the beers they we're hoping to cash in on. Those smaller craft breweries are (mostly) run by skilled, passionate brewers and not just formulation followers that press a button to start the brewing process off.

Cheers Tom

Last edited:
The scaling up also often doesn’t work. Brewdog especially have gone very down hill since and I avoid it now, although I use their recipes quite a bit. Elvis juice tastes so **** now so as I miss the original so I’m going to have to brew it myself soon.

The scaling up also often doesn’t work. Brewdog especially have gone very down hill since and I avoid it now, although I use their recipes quite a bit. Elvis juice tastes so **** now so as I miss the original so I’m going to have to brew it myself soon.
Is it the change from their end or has your taste changed over time?

definitely their end (in my opinion) , it tastes of fake flavourings like cheap confectionary now whereas it used to taste lovely. Mrs thinks the same.
Couldn't agree more.. I absolutely loved the grapefruit hit of this IPA in the early days of it and regularly purchased it, but now it really does taste cheap with a fake grapefruit flavouring..

Couldn't agree more.. I absolutely loved the grapefruit hit of this IPA in the early days of it and regularly purchased it, but now it really does taste cheap with a fake grapefruit flavouring..
Exactly. I used to rave about it. No I wouldn’t drink it if it was free.

Latest posts

Back