Big Brew Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fazzer

Reaction score
Big day for me, I'm doing 2 brews.
Coopers European lager and cwtch red ale.
So I'm going to do the cwtch to the instructions apart from adding a cold crash.

Now the lager - well I'm not too sure so here goes.
1.Pitch 14 deg
2.Ferment 14/21 days, can only brew weekends.
3. D-rest 2 days at 18 deg.
4. Bottle.
5. Lager for 12 weeks at 2 degrees.
Should I add a cold crash in the lager as well?
At what step?
How does that schedule look?

Attachments

• 20220319_054457.jpg
    20220319_054457.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 9
Instructions for the coopers lager say
ferment at 13-15 for 10 days.
Check gravity until fermentaion stabalised.
Bottle and carb for 2 weeks at 18. (part of step 4 in my post).
Chill and enjoy.

But i have seen these instructions elsewhere, saying it needs 12 weeks lagering.
So i don't really trust the cans instructions TBH.

I have the temp control facilities and loads of info from this forum and think i can get a really good finish by doing a little bit more work.

It seems these instructions are designed so Coopers can say it's nice and simple and ready in just a few weeks.

I would assume 21 days fermentation. If after 14 you've hit the right FG, I'd leave another couple of days and then cold crash for 4 or 5.

Have a think about giving it a bit of a dry hop too, just to put your own little spin on it.

What about diacytl rest? Would you do that as well?
As far as dry hopping, I'm not sure what I like lol, so wouldn't know where to start!

So the Cwtch turned out very well, apart from the over carbonating! I used 2 coopers carb drops per 750ml bottle and it turned out like lucozade. It burnt my tongue lol.
I have the kit again and going to batch prime now, I've been finding i get better results than with drops.
So what level of carbonation should I be aiming for in volumes? It's a Red Ale if anyone does not know.
Instructions say 1 teaspoon per pint, but I reckon that's a stupid instruction, I don't brew in pints and my bottles aren't pints.

Latest posts

Back