Big problem or small problem?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazkirko17

Reaction score
Hi folks.
Got my irst wine kit on go. A solomon grundy 7 day merlot.
I started it of over a week ago. It fermented quiet liverely. ( had a couple of foam everywhere days. I just cleared the airlock cleaned up and let it carry on . Last sat I checked the hydrometer and it showed a reading of .10 ( in blue. And medium on the wine scale bit) . I then transfered to another fv and degassing as per instruction and then added the finnings etc at the time specified. I have just had a cheeky look/ taste. ( as current fv has a tap on it. ) and its cloudy and tastes like fruit juice with a kick. Is it ruined or is it salvageable. Any help would be appreciated.

How many days had it been fermenting when you moved to the next stage?

Have a look at the scale below and tell us where it was at when it had finished fermenting

hhhhh.jpg

Hi chippy.
Thanks for your quick reply.
I took it off after 7 days. It had not finished bubbling. The reading showed ( on your pic 1008) . So me thinks I dropped a big error. I dindt understand the reading properly. As on the opp side it said medium. So thought it ready.
Is it salvagble. Or is it throw away start again.

Always leave wine kits longer than you'd think, almost the longer the better. After adding finings I'd usually leave for at least 2 preferably 4 weeks. Patience with the wine kits really is a virtue and it also allows some of that wine kit sulphite taste to go with the wine degassing.

Anna

Always leave wine kits longer than you'd think, almost the longer the better. After adding finings I'd usually leave for at least 2 preferably 4 weeks. Patience with the wine kits really is a virtue and it also allows some of that wine kit sulphite taste to go with the wine degassing.

Anna
Thanks Anna will do that. Is it better in a bucket with or without an airlock?

Ive had a few Solomon Grundy 7 day kits,The end result has been decent,

But 7 days never.!!!!

What ever you do keep it under airlock. athumb..

I took it off after 7 days. It had not finished bubbling.

As you have already mentioned that's where you went wrong, an easy mistake to make as they say its a 7 day kit we have all been there believe me, if you have added the stabiliser its not looking good for this one leave it under airlock and see how it turns out in a month, if its awful don't let it put you off and while you wait get another on and see how it goes.

Why not give one of these a go inexpensive juice makes great wine - Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

Really appreciate all your advice. Currently have discussion with Mrs kirko. As to whether bin it or weather it out.( and for sake of £20 odd quid for the wine kit) . Her argument is bin it . Mine adapt and over come. But me thinks lost this battle. 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Only prob is have 2 fv bins one with airlock lid one without . I'll keep you posted. 👍👍🍻🍻🍻

I made my first wine kit a few weeks ago. It was a 7 day Pinot Grigio white wine kit. Thankfully I had made 2 beer kits just beforehand and it had given me a little bit of experience. The whole 7 day thing is nonsense I think, and is unfair for a new brewer who will follow the instructions to the letter. My 7 day wine kit took me 14 days before it was bottled. I have not tasted it yet. It has been conditioning in the bottles for a month now. I’m looking forward to trying it in April.
Good luck with your next brew.

Damien

I made my first wine kit a few weeks ago. It was a 7 day Pinot Grigio white wine kit. Thankfully I had made 2 beer kits just beforehand and it had given me a little bit of experience. The whole 7 day thing is nonsense I think, and is unfair for a new brewer who will follow the instructions to the letter. My 7 day wine kit took me 14 days before it was bottled. I have not tasted it yet. It has been conditioning in the bottles for a month now. I’m looking forward to trying it in April.
Good luck with your next brew.

Damien
Thanks for that. I will. Thanks for your help.👍🍻🍻🍻

Thanks Anna will do that. Is it better in a bucket with or without an airlock?
I have a near constant wine kit schedule, bottle one and put another on, and leave it in a bucket as long as you are willing too. I use an airlock unless leaving to age in a set of demijohns longer term. Issues to consider are the headspace in the fermenter/bucket as if it's in a room where the temperature changes significantly during the day and it has an airlock then it will suck air in when it gets cold, so there may be an argument for a solid bung in those circumstances. This can be minimised with keeping the headspace to a minimum and as stable temperature as possible.

It is worth racking off the wine after most of the sediment has settled out, and ideally you shouldn't leave the wine on the sediment for more than a month, though I admit I do sometimes when there's a tiny bit of sediment after a second racking.

[Edit - just to add that if you leave the kit for at least a couple of weeks then it will degas itself without the faff of stirring/shaking]

Anna

Last edited:
Sorry folks big
Hi folks. Than ks ffo
Sorry folks big fingers small screen. Thanks for all your help. Me and Mrs have decided to bottle a couple and put under stairs and see what happens at Xmas. 🤣🤣🤣. And bin the rest. Then were gonna give maybe a six bottle kit a go. ( which in not like us we either go big or go home) on this we're not going home . So as currently we're still in lock down and we can't by separate ingredients ( unless on line and at exstoniate prices) we're just give that a go and learn a little bit. So sorry chippy. Wow on holiday till lockdown lifted and can get to wilko . To get all ingredients. Happy brewing folks. 👍🍻🍻🍻🍻👍🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Latest posts

Back