Bike Pirate Blonde/Pseudo Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (°P): 10.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.14 %
Colour (SRM): 4.1 (EBC): 8.1
Bitterness (IBU): 20.2 (Average)
(Based on 72% efficiency)

3.83kg Base Malt
383g Flaked Barley

12 g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
10gHallertau Mittlefrueh (4.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
10g Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
20g Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 14C-19C with CML Kolsch yeast

This is a very easy drinking blonde ale/pseudo lager. I make it a lot, it's more or less my house beer. Its very lager like as the recipe is essentially a lager recipe made with a couple of ale ingrediants.
I usually use CML kolsch yeast for it and ferment as cool as I can. During winter I just leave the FV on the kitchen floor as this is about 14C. You dont have to use the Kolsch yeast, any clean ale strain will do, US-05 ,etc. Just ferment it as cool as you can manage.
For base malt almost any will do but Marris Otter may be a bit characterful for it, but there's no reason why you cant use it

Last edited:
Just wondered are you only doing a 30 min boil or just adding the 1st hops halfway through?

Just wondered are you only doing a 30 min boil or just adding the 1st hops halfway through?

Oops, good spot. Last time I did this I did it as 5L 30min mash/30 boil and my software still reflected that when I exported the file. I've edited the OP for a normal 60min boil now. :thumb:

Looks like a lovely faux lager. Did it come out well?

Flavour wise it's spot But I think the Flaked Barley gives it too much body for a lager, despite the fact I copies the grist from my GH book (although lager yeast can ferment more of the sugars than ale yeast can, so perhaps this reciepe using lager yeast would be lighter in body). I made a V.2 using table sugar instead of FB to make it drier and lighter in body. It's still in the FV but initial tastes are promising

How did V2 turn out in the end?
Also how long does the fermentation take with the lower temps? (sorry if thats an obvious question).

How did V2 turn out in the end?
Also how long does the fermentation take with the lower temps? (sorry if thats an obvious question).

Sorry for the late reply I only just noticed your q's as I'm making this again on tuesday and was looking at the recipe.

V2 is even more lager like because it was lighter and drier although I did feel it had a bit of a twang from the sugar. Im going to be making the original version on tues with US-05. Iirc the fermentation times are a little longer (cant remember exactly how long now that it's summer) but definately not longer than the usual 2 weeks in the FV before bottling

I have made many good beers very similar to that. I normally got for about 25 IBU. Not tried flaked barley as i like my beers on the drier side but i often use a bit of wheat or melanoidin. 100% Vienna makes a great beer as well.

I have ordered some cml kolsch yeast for a Vienna lager. How long do you think I can take it before adding a second pack. Got two packs and a fermentation fridge

I have ordered some cml kolsch yeast for a Vienna lager. How long do you think I can take it before adding a second pack. Got two packs and a fermentation fridge

I used 2 packs on a 21l batch at 15c but i do 28l batches now and would be good for that. I have used 3 packs ( accidentally) and still had clear beer

Latest posts

Back