Biker Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you come off at that speed even with armoured biking gear and a helmet you are likely to cause serious injury to yourself. Gravel burns can be horrendous let alone anything else.
So you'd ban the Tour de France then? They do similar or even higher speeds on the downhills.
I would have been ok anyway - had my safety lycra shorts on.

When i was looking to get back into biking i came across these, brilliant protection if you are not into leathers.

So you'd ban the Tour de France then? They do similar or even higher speeds on the downhills.
I would have been ok anyway - had my safety lycra shorts on.
The riders in the TdeF and other cycling events make their choice, and many suffer as a result.
Motorcycle racing is the same. How many riders are killed at the TT every year?
I've been down steep hills on an ordinary bike at speeds over 45 mph, before I took up motorcycling again.
I would not do it again however, having seen what can happen.
However I accept the risk when I go out on my motorbike, but manage it as best I can it like wearing the right gear at all times, and adopting a 'Ride Safe' policy. But I accept am not invulnerable. And at my age an off will be more serious than for someone half my age or more.
So in the end we all make our own choice about how we see personal risk. Perhaps my threshold is different to yours.

I will only go out on my motorbike with full kit on leathers gloves etc, but i have clocked myself doing 60 kmph down the side of a hill on my mountain bike, with just shorts and T shirt, but I do where body armour when doing the more challenging mountain bike trails these days just in case.

Just remembered I bought a Sports Cub back in 1973 for £35 in addition to the other bikes I have owned in Post27 above. The main reason was because of the fuel crisis (anyone remember rationing) so I could get to work. Apart from the Bantam rear wheel I found someone had fitted, I quickly found out that it leaked oil, I suppose I should say what did I expect. Anyway bought half a Cub including an engine from a friend for £10 and swapped the engines over. However I didnt keep it for too long after that because I was told I couldn't ride it anymore as first child was on the way. So I sold it. I wonder what it would have been worth now?
A good Super Cub around £3000 - 3500? Mine leaked oil when I was in my teens - still leaking oil now! Managed to stop the front forks from leaking but thats about all! There were only around 1600 built/concocted. Still enjoy riding it and it has been reliable.

When i was looking to get back into biking i came across these, brilliant protection if you are not into leathers.

Kevlar reinforced jeans are not all they're cracked up to be.
I wear them a lot, mainly for the bike, but also at work.
After a few rounds with the washing machine, they wear much the same as normal denim...
If they can't handle the power of an Indesit, then I don't think I'd want to put them to the test on the tarmac!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression they weren't to be machine washed or have I got it wrong ?

Mark

Just checked a few pairs. All say "Machine wash 40C".
I think that dry cleaning is the big no-no...

Could be mate , it wouldn't be the first time I got things back to front !
Maybe it's tumble drying that's a no no !

Mark

Tumble drying is an odd one.
Quite often you can "re-waterproof" light weight gear by damping then tumble drying it...
Don't know if it damages Kevlar, but they say to tumble dry "normal", whatever that means?
(I try to stay away from the whole laundry process if possible - that's why I invested in a wife!!!)

Latest posts

Back