BillyD's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyD

Reaction score
Thought I'd do one of these placeholder type threads in case I ever need to look back on something, on Saturday I brewed what will hopefully be a Mango Pale Ale. Plan was:

1.18kg MO
0.2kg Lager malt
0.12kg Carapils

Full volume mash for 90 minutes @ about 148F with 9.2 litres of water.

8g Brewers Gold (leaf) @ 60 (was going to be 6g pellet)
3g Cascade @ 30
2g Cascade @ 5
Irish Moss @ 15

60 minute boil.

CML US Pale Ale @ 18C

500g Mango pieces into FV after 3 days for about a week.

Weights were calculated using BF and an efficiency of 48% which is what recent brews had pointed to.

Did a full volume BIAB but without the bag because I'm not happy with how it's been holding the grain in the pot. When the mash was finished I put the wort through the bag and did a bit of recirculation and squeezing and got an OG of 1.050 which was what BF had suggested. Now know that the limit of my pan is 1.5kg grain and 9.2 litres of water, could have probably put the lid on but ended up using foil.

I did a raspberry wheat the other week and had problems getting all the fruit into the FV so this time I split the batch into two DJs and will put half the fruit into each one and leave for about a week. I'm going to thaw the pieces and drop them in whole, I've seen recipes that have used pulp or blitzed it but I fancy trying it with full.

Wanted to ferment at 18C but unfortunately the fridge seems to have gone kaput, looks like it will hold stable at around 22C so that will have to do for this brew. As at this morning the CML looks to be doing it's job and even with the extra headspace the cling film is domed and hard to the touch (think it's MyQul who I saw used cling film rather than an airlock and I've been doing that ever since I read it).

Ended up using the Brewers Gold that came in the lucky dip I bought and had forgot it was leaf so chucked a bit extra in. The leaf also made siphoning a bit more of a ball ache but hopefully will hopefully end up with a dozen bottles at the finish line.

I read Radical Brewing a while back and for some reason the idea of doing a brew using jaggery got stuck in my head. The jaggery on it's own has a creamy thing going and I'd seen it in the Asda near work for £1 for a block so I had bought it anyway "just in case". There are two recipes in the book that use it and last night I had a go at the Summer Ale one.

0.72kg MO
0.29kg Lager
0.1kg Wheat
0.06kg Jaggery

6g Challenger @ 60
3g Challenger @ 30
3g Challenger @ 5
3g Saaz @ 5

Irish moss @ 15

US-05

Full volume mash of about 90mins using 9.2 litres of water, at about 148°F. Boiled for 60 minutes with nothing to report then popped it into the sink to start cooling and prompty fell asleep after having too many Tyskie/Katy snakebites. Woke up shortly after and decided to just put the lid on and sort it this morning. BF had quoted an OG of 1.048 which is what I got and seemed to be more to go into the FV that usual. The sample jar tasted ok, definitely think there was something of the jaggery coming through but I could have just been kidding myself. Pitched US-05 which was more of a random choice than anything else, still no working fridge so with only the heating side temp control won't be great. Have got some more books for Father's Day so will be good to see if there's anything of interest in them to have a go at.

Just the one comment:
  • 500g of Mango pieces? I "lost" the taste of Mango in a 7 litre "Grape and Mango Juice Wine" that I made with 6:1 ratio so maybe this is too little if you are looking for a significant mango taste.
Enjoy! :thumb:

Back