Birds in my garden

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to feed from the ground but due to seeing the infamous brown squirrel I now have a bird table, and only feed in the morning. It's all gone by lunch.
We have two red robins, male I presume from the same family, saw a wren yesterday which is unusual.
I occasionally see golden eagles circling very high up over here in the summer on a good day. Very characteristic call. All the crows go nuts when it happens. Even saw one crow having a go at one which is pretty brave.

Sparrows, Great and Blue ****, Blackbirds, Robins, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Wood pigeons, Wrens, Collared dove, long tail tit, kestrel, Two seagulls last year tried to steal my steak 🥩 from bbq !!

I'm not good with the names of this moth or butterfly in the garden today

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've obviously thought since I was a kid that that was a Red admiral? I googled Red Admiral and it come up with see also Peacock Butterfly.

I'm not good with the names of this moth or butterfly in the garden today

1586263530380.png

Peacock butterfly

Description
Aglais io, the European peacock, more commonly known simply as the peacock butterfly, is a colourful butterfly, found in Europe and temperate Asia as far east as Japan. It was formerly classified as the only member of the genus Inachis. Wikipedia

1586263441630.png

at the moment i'm waiting the arrival of the Nightingales, we are off the road and live on a heath in suffolk, they might not be in the garden but I can hear then from the house & garden. Chiff chaff s arrived a few days ago as did sand martins.

Have had a pair of greattits visiting my balcony (Stop it!!) for the first time in the early mornings the past few days. Looking for insects

Last edited:
As I have a lot of spare time I have been recording the birds in my garden feeding on my nuts and fat balls.
Robin
Great t**s
Blue t**s
Long tailed t**s
Gold Finch
Magpies
Hooded Crows
Jay
Blackbird
Pigeons

Ps can't believe the software censored birds names
Hi we keep some ex battery chickens we rescued will try to post some pics later as I am at work, once I get the hang of this forum I will post some more stuff,, cheers all

I went to the wood store where we keep logs for the stove, round the back of a summerhouse/shed behind the house early one evening last week - heard/felt a whirring movement past my head (didn't see anything) - local blackbird has decided it's a nice place to build a nest! Shan't be going there for logs for a while...

Great tit,
Blue tit,
Coal tit,
Sparrow,
Wren,
Robin,
Carrion crow,
Magpie,
Collared dove,
Wood pigeon,
Blackbird,
Nuthatch (love these!)

Nextdoor’s cat squaring up to the squirrel

Wish we had goldfinches, still no takers for the Niger seeds.
Try sunflower hearts!

We have some robins nesting in a box I made in some ivy near our front door. A few days ago I noticed what I thought were rat droppings on the path to the door, which was totally unexpected. Anyway it turns out the 'rat droppings' are fecal sacks which the nestlings produce on a regular basis and are then removed by the adult birds to keep the nest clean.

Saw a bat last evening.
A frikkin Bat !
I shouted at it "It's all your frikkin fault we're in this mess you barsteward!"

Latest posts

Back