Birds in my garden

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin
Green finch
Coal T*t (I think that's the t*t type)
Collared Dove
Wood Pigeon
Blackbird
Starling
House Sparrow
Jay
Jackdaw (noisy b**tards)
Greater Spotted Woodpecker
Pheasants (and lots of them)
I love jackdaws. They are the Staffy Bull terrier of the bird world. when they come into land the look like a harrier jump jet.
I started feeding my local flock of about 6 pairs over 25 years ago. I now have over 200 come in for the daily feed. They mate for life & are extremely bright.
A few years back the one that lives in my chimney had it's fledgling crash land on some ground at the back of my house. She was screaming at me for about 2 minutes until I eventually clicked & followed her. A cat was about to attack her stunned fledgling. I hissed at the cat & it ran off & about 20 Jackdaws saw it off by dive bombing it one after another. She will now take peanuts from my hand & many of the others are tame to me.
They bring me walnuts & other shelled nuts they find for me to crush for them & large sticks to break that are too big for building their nests.
When they flock the sight is magnificent, When they fly over my house if I'm in the garden there is a crescendo of "pecaw, pecaw pecaw" & "Jack,jack,jack" as they hover over me. Which suggests they have an intelligent defined language, they also mimic the crow when there is danger.
The Victorians kept them as pets & they would talk like parrots. Burglars also trained them to fly into open windows & search for jewellery & coins.

Brought back a few memories that....we had various corvids as pets as kids...crows,magpies and jackdaws...they all went back to the wild eventually. Like you say though they are very intelligent...I remember one crow we had standing in a shallow pond trying to catch tadpoles!

We have a white winged Chough often around campsites in the bush, get out and open the back up they get in there before you can, most birds are intelligent especially when it comes to getting a feed.
1591349200985.png

The more interesting ones...

Great spotted woodpecker
Common pheasant
Red legged partridge
Buzzard
Sparrowhawk
Heron (eating the maturing tadpoles out the pond for its breakfast!)

Just as I posted this, the Buzzard landed on the fence
F1D3388B-E49B-474D-B31C-742407D88738.jpeg

Last edited:
Just as it’s going dark, around 22:30 we get a Long Eared Owl that comes to one of our fence posts on its nightly feeding sortie.

:laugh8::laugh8:They all thought that Robins only come out in the winter, I said so they hibernate all other 3 seasons then? they all said yeh definitely :laugh8::laugh8:

Just as it’s going dark, around 22:30 we get a Long Eared Owl that comes to one of our fence posts on its nightly feeding sortie.
As a kid I roamed through the bush, caught 2 owls in one week, first one I had at home I daren't take a second one home. My dad let the first owl go, he said owing to the racket it made during the night.

Saw the first swallow yesterday evening, first few potatoes showing today so feels like spring
even if it's a bit grey and cold !

Got mainly regular garden birds,
Great ****
Blue ****
Starlings
Chaffinch
Robin
Green Parakeet x 2 they come by every now and again
Pigeons
Magpies
Crows
Seagulls they tend to sit on the roof