Biscuit Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilfy

Reaction score
I bought 500g of biscuit malt a while back and can't remember what I was going to use it for. Suggestions for beers that are best to use this in please?

I bought 500g of biscuit malt a while back and can't remember what I was going to use it for. Suggestions for beers that are best to use this in please?

I have used it quite a few times in Pales and Goldens, it may be that my palette is not very sophisticated but I did not think I brought a lot to the party. Keep us informed what you decide on & how it turns out.

Anything where the malt is dominant really. You want that extra character/complexity to shine. A good English bitter or maybe a Belgian ale. Brew with a nice yeast to add some esters and you're away!

Right, thinking of this for a brew this weekend.

AG#7 Henry's Hoppy Bitter (Northern English Brown Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.053 (°P): 13.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.00 %
Colour (SRM): 18.9 (EBC): 37.2
Bitterness (IBU): 44.4 (Average)

81.3% Maris Otter Malt
8.13% Carapils (Dextrine)
4.07% Biscuit
4.07% Crystal 120
1.63% Chocolate
0.81% Black Malt

1 g/L Galaxy (15.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Challenger (6.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
1.6 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C.

Characteristics
Château Biscuit malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts. No enzymes. Must be mashed with malts having a surplus of diastatic power.

Usage
All special beers and as well for English ales, brown ales and porters. Up to 25% of the mix.

We use this malt in a hoppy brown ale ingredient kit with great success.

Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C.

Characteristics
Château Biscuit malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts. No enzymes. Must be mashed with malts having a surplus of diastatic power.

Usage
All special beers and as well for English ales, brown ales and porters. Up to 25% of the mix.

We use this malt in a hoppy brown ale ingredient kit with great success.

Sounds ideal for what I am going to use it for. Bought it from you.

Looks like a good recipe mate.
I'd suggest a more characterful yeast though, get some WLP 002 or 005 if you can?

Never used liquid yeast before. I do have a Mangrove Jacks M42 New world Ale.

There's nothing to it really. I've only used White labs so can only comment on their yeast, but it's literally just pitch and leave it, the same as dried yeast. If you want to you can make starters etc, if not, just pitch direct from the packet. Just leave the pack out on the side for a few hours before hand so it's not at fridge temps.

Ideally you'll want temperature control... Although on saying that I made hoegaarden this time last year when the temperatures soared and it was fine, I was worried when it got quite warm in the fv so I stuck it in the bath half filled with cold water and it was all good.

I don't think I'll be able to get any in time for this brew but will look into it for future. Think we are visiting the outlaws next weekend and they have a fridge for me apparently. They better had in any case cos I've already bought the Inkbird and greenhouse heater!

Latest posts

Back