BITS=The simplest, cheapest AG possible.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
BREWING IN TWO SHEETS!

I have been partial mashing for a year and intended to start AG this year. Well I have :D I decided on BIAB to keep the costs down and thought I'd just get a big stockpot to boil it all in. Whist fathoming everything else I needed I realised that you don't actually need a bag!
All you need is a nylon voile curtain. The bulk of the material is around the outside, so if you put your grains in the middle you can just use a cord with a slip knot in it to fulfill the same function as a draw string. The harder the weight tries to pull the material through the knot, the tighter the knot gets. You can filter the boiled hops in a second sheet in the same way.
Setup costs if you've never even done a kit before are less than £100!
That's for everything needed. Here is a list of all the equipment you will require.

A large stockpot-mine's 32l
An FV
2 sheets of nylon voile of about 1 sq. meter each.
A piece of nylon cord about 2m in length.
A plastic spoon.
A thermometer.
A hydrometer.
A luggage strap or piece of elastic.
Something to insulate your stockpot.
A teaspoon.

That's it except for a stove of some kind. If you don't have one already then your priority should perhaps not be to brew beer.

The method is simple.
Here's today's recipe.

Heat your entire brew length plus 5 litres to 70C. Use your first sheet to line your stockpot and strap it around the outside so it can't fall in or get burned by the stove.

Add your grain, put the lid on and insulate, then leave it for at least 90 mins. Put it back on the stove with the thermometer still in and stir continuously as you heat to 78C. Then take it off the stove. Be diligent here, the temp. can rise quicker than you think.

Remove your strap and gather the top of the sheet from round the stockpot. Tie a slip knot over it and hoist. After it's cooled a bit you can jiggle gently to get as much liquid out as you like. Just be carefull not to sueeze too much since this may release tannins.

Get the pan back on the stove and heat to a boil. Check the rising temperature but be warned, with a domestic stove it will take a looooooooong time. EDIT-Keeping the lid on during heating will save much time. I also boil with the lid on. Some may object but I didn't realise any objections existed 'til I read another thread! The beer tastes fine so I will continue the practice :thumb:

Add your first hops. I give them 40 mins before adding the second lot. 10 mins later I add a teaspoon of irish moss. 10 minutes after that I romove the pot from the heat, add my flameout hops and leave to steep for 20 minutes.

Strap your second sheet over your sterile FV, as you did with the stockpot earlier. Man up and pour the entire pan of wort and hops into the FV, then hoist the sheet as previously. Wiggle and jiggle but don't squeeze. This way you will catch a suprising amount of break material.

You can chill if you like but if you have no chiller you can leave overnight or until the temp is right to pitch your yeast. I like to rehydrate my dried yeast in wter, not wort, until it gets a head before pitching.

So here's a dirty sheet! It shows the capture of some break material. Rememberr jiggle, don't squeeze. It makes a big difference to the clarity of the wort.

I put 28l into my 32l pot and with 4kg of M Otter and 300g of crystal it was well full.
I got a shade under 22l in my FV so I made it up to 23l and checked th OG.
1046. Ignoring the crushed crystal because it will make very little difference to the OG, I work that out as 89.66% efficiency. Why so good? Because there's so little waste. A little water is left in the malt and a little in the hops but it's not much.

With no chilling you are relying on the fermentation and the irish moss to clear things up. Seems to work so if it aint broke...........

I'll leave it to ferment and clear for 14 days then go straight to my barrel, though you could bottle if you wished.

Loads of recipes can be done this way. mines a simple one above with a massive whack of EKG at flameout to make it extra special. I'll post my impressions in a month.

My wife is currently not in the room. When she returns and sees this, she wil either be pleased, since it looks MUCh cheaper and could result in a supreme imperial chocolate vanilla porter, or disturbed, since it makes AG brewing look so much more feasible in a kitchen with a basic 4-burner gas hob, and she was secretly hoping I would never make that leap....
I am almost tempted here... I just need a giant stock pot - where does one find such things? Ebay? Amazon, or are they a bit like hen's teeth and rocking-horse poo?

Ghetto BIAB! Love it!

Although I did a bit of plumbing and got my Mum to do a bit of sewing, BIAB just goes to show how you can make frankly awesome beer with very little technology.

My very first brew was effectively this. All I had was a pot and a grain bag. Grain in, grain out, hops straight in the boiler, wort siphoned out though a bit of voile!

Damn fine beer it was (there's only a couple of bottles left) too. :thumb:

Algernon said:
I just need a giant stock pot - where does one find such things? Ebay? Amazon, or are they a bit like hen's teeth and rocking-horse poo?

I paid £49.99 inc postage from Ebay. This is by far the most expensive part of my equipment but it's worth getting one this big (32l) since it can JUST manage 23l. Any smaller and you'll be less efficient because the water trapped in your sheets will be more concentrated with wort. You'll then need to add water at the end to make up your volume. You just need to be patient with a domestic stove. Here's someone who was glad of the long wait.

He got a walk.

£50!?!?!

Search the forum for "bergland" and email them. They'll deliver you a 50l brand new stainless pot for about that.

I got a 70l pot and a 50l thermo for just over 100 quid delivered. :thumb:

and for a £89 +vat you can buy a 40l buffalo boiler.

So is ghetto BIAB the darkest side :)

We welcome any BIAB to the Darkside. :thumb:

Welcome to the Darkside Young Padawan :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting - definitely something to consider for the future. Currently I am still drinking my underaged St Peter's IPA, my first ever homebrew. Am considering what to do for my next brew, and need to be fairly quick about making a decision. I may just get the same kit again and try to do it better - perhaps a whiff of dry hopping this time round. It's that or decide that since I can make a kit drinkable I should move up to trying to synthesise an imperial stout with vanilla and cocoa (9.8%) that our local makes. Running before one can walk springs to mind. I liked the idea of this boil onthe bag malarkey though - you made it look so easy...

Algernon said:
Interesting - definitely something to consider for the future. Currently I am still drinking my underaged St Peter's IPA, my first ever homebrew. Am considering what to do for my next brew, and need to be fairly quick about making a decision. I may just get the same kit again and try to do it better - perhaps a whiff of dry hopping this time round. It's that or decide that since I can make a kit drinkable I should move up to trying to synthesise an imperial stout with vanilla and cocoa (9.8%) that our local makes. Running before one can walk springs to mind. I liked the idea of this boil onthe bag malarkey though - you made it look so easy...

Try a wherry next, I don't think you're allowed to call yourself a home brewer until you have ;)

I have ordered a variety of bits n bobs to enhance a Wherry kit I found in Wilkos. I was wondering - does the net/voile have to be nylon? What would happen with other materials? Does anyone have any experience with other materials?
It looks suspiciously like I may end up doing a very small BIAB as a kind of test run, and to see if we can make something resembling a local brew from our favourite brewpub.
I shall keep y'all posted as it unfolds...

A couple of weeks in the barrel and it would have been the moment of truth, the first taste. Truth is I've been sneaking a cheeky taste for a while, just to check on progress, you'll understand.

It's a lot clearer than the picture suggests. It does have a very slight haze but lets face it, it's real beer.
I was aiming for a session ale but due to the higher than expected efficiency it's more of an IPA strength at 4.5% ABV.
It has hints of honey and caramel with a good bitterness. If I'd paid 3 quid for a pint in the pub I'd have no complaints. This is a very good beer. The finish lingers on the tongue, tempting you back for more.

A word of warning for anyone using BIAB. Don't forget the irish moss. I forgot for my AG#1, the predecessor to this beer, and it's struggling to clear after 3 weeks. Still, it tastes amazing!

I did AG#5 today. What I found was that during the boil a lot of material, including some hops, were stuck to the side of the pan. I was carefull to disturb this as little as possible when I emptied the pan and I seem to have ended up with much less break material in the wort. Every brew is a learning experience. I also let the temp fall to 90C before adding the flameout hops with the hope that this would reduce the isomerisation of AAs, thus giving me what I wanted from the late hopping. I also squidged the hops against the side with my spoon before draining to get as much flavour out as I could. Time will tell.

Nice! I like the idea of hopping hot, but not boiling - I may try that. I just bastardised that Wherry kit I got with a whole bunch of other stuff (dark crystal malt, Maris Otter and Rye malt with a wodge of DME for good measure - hopped with around an ounce of citra and chinook hops at 60 mins and the same at 15, then dry hopped with an ounce of citra.
After all this, it seems to be shaping up to be a Theakston's Old Peculier clone. I was hoping for more booze out of it, having got an OG of 1.060, but sadly my kit yeasties were only able to munch it down to 1.020, leaving a decidedly full-bodied ale but still racking up mid 5%ish.
It's in the pressure barrel now, warm conditioning. Am trying to keep sampling to a tiny shot per day for research purposes, but it's already quite palatable :-)
I am wondering what to do next - shell out for BIAB kit or just keep pootling along playing around with kits and bits...

rich27500 said:
Algernon, go biab, you won't regret it!

+1. It really is the simplest, most forgiving AG solution and the initial outlay can be very minimal.

Latest posts

Back