Bitter and Yeasty taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1611

Reaction score
I'm a total novice to all this so I decided to try making a Winebuddy 7 day Chardonnay kit . All went well but it tastes bitter with a yeasty taste. I left for 8 days before I put the finings in etc .Did I leave it too long ? or is there something else I did or didnt do which makes it taste like this .Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Mac

Without knowing the steps you took it would only be a guess on our part as to what has gone wrong.

Did you sanitise everything that came into contact with the wine?

Did you take a final reading to see if fermentation was complete? (8 days to finish fermenting is fairly quick in the winter months)

I have made this kit several times and we have always enjoyed it the problem is the instructions make out it can be finished in 7 days and when you have been doing this awhile you will realise without a heat source that is wildly optimistic (still optimistic if you have a heat pad)

Did everything as I was told and sanitised everything .Only thing i did wrong was add the 2 sachets of finings then realised I hadn't de gassed it enough so did more degassing .I the added the final finings ,all cleared ok. Hydrometer was about .996

Looks like its not something you have done that has caused the off taste I've used two lots of fining in the past to clear stubborn wines and it had no effect on taste, all i can suggest is bottle it and leave it a month then try a bottle with luck time will sort it.

You might need to age it.

Although I've not had much luck with winebuddy white wine kits lately tbh. All of the ones I've made in the last 3-5ish months haven't tasted right. Everythings sanitised and I haven't changed the way I do anything but they just haven't been that good. Maybe the whole situation ATM has reduced the quality of wine kits. I thought it was something I'd done wrong but I haven't really changed the way I do them.

Although when we first did our first wine kit it came out a bit ****, we rushed to finish and try it and the wine quality suffered allot. We learned not to rush. We now generally leave our bottles for about a month before opening and drinking them. You tend to get a few odd flavours in freshly brewed wine

Last edited:
Back