Bitter/Hoppy IPA

Discussion in 'General Recipe Discussion' started by Deathstar, Nov 8, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Nov 8, 2019 #1

Deathstar

Deathstar

Deathstar

New Member Supporting Member

All, please be gentle however I have been playing with Beersmith and a recipe.
    I generally like hoppy fruity IPA's and I have come up with the following recipe.

I would like some of you more experienced members to cast their eye over it and advise of any recommendations.

Grain 4.8KG Pale Malt Maris Otter
    Grain 0.3kg Ambre Malt
    Grain 0.2kg Crystal Malt
    Hops 20gm Citra 90min boil
    Campden Tab - 60 mins boil
    Hops 40gm Citra 45 min boil
    Hops 20gm Amarillo 15 min boil
    Hops 20gm Amarillo whirlpool (inside submersed cooling coil)
    West Coast IPA Yeast

OG ~1.060
    FG ~1.016
    IBU~80.5
    ABV~5.8

Ferm 10-14 days at 20c

I plan to bottle and mini keg it ready for Christmas.

Attached Files:

2. Nov 8, 2019 #2

Brew_DD2

Brew_DD2

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster

I would revisit that hop schedule and get those Citra additions near the end of the boil. Citra is very expensive and aromatic. It's a real waste to boil the hell out of it. Go for a small amount of a cheap bittering hop like Magnum and Warrior at the start of the boil and use the Citra and Amarillo near the end and/or as a dry hop.

All 80 ibus is very bitter for a beer of that gravity.

3. Nov 8, 2019 #3

Pavros

Pavros

Pavros

Landlord.

I've just really started ag brewing so stand to be corrected by others but I have a couple of comments.

I would use a neutral hop like Magnum for bittering and move all the Citra additions until the last 15 minutes of the boil (or even leave some for a dry hop). If you don't have any Magnum, you could buy some, or another bittering hop, from CrossMyLoof as they sell hops in small amounts.

I am not sure about adding the campden tablet to the boil. The only time I use them is for treating my water before I start doing anything. I find that 1/2 a tablet in 20 litres of water and let it stand for 1/2 hour is fine for my tap water.

4. Nov 8, 2019 #4

ACBEV

ACBEV

ACBEV

Old Member

The recipe looks good... I love a bit of amber malt in my pale ales/bitters, so was glad to see that. Its a bit on the bitter side for me, though I have gone over 100 IBUs in the past. But I would suggest moving the 40g of Citra to 20 mins from 45 mins.

5. Nov 8, 2019 #5

Pavros

Pavros

Pavros

Landlord.

I see Brew_DD2 posted as I was typing a similar point. I didn't see the ibus but I would be aiming for about 40 - 50 if it was me

6. Nov 8, 2019 #6

Keruso

Keruso

Keruso

If you want a bit of body or head retention consider adding flaked barley, wheat or carapils (dextrine) malt. Have a search for malt adjuncts, there's plenty of info out there. You could add some amarillo and citra to dry hop. I don't see the need to boil for 90, 60 would suffice.

https://byo.com/article/fabulous-foam/
    https://byo.com/article/add-body-to-your-beer/
    http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/what-is-malted-grain/other-grains-and-adjuncts

7. Nov 8, 2019 #7

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

put the campden tablet or should I say half into the water the night before if possible. Make all the hop additions as late as possible at say 20,10 or 5 mins and do a dry hop instead of the whirlpool. The late additions and amounts may get you to your IBU's if not use a neutral hop like magnum at the start and do not waste your better hops at the beginning as they can become harsh if used that long in the boil. Please read all the other comments as we all have different ways and ideas but I am sure that some where in there it will help you to find a way that suits your style of brewing

8. Nov 8, 2019 #8

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

Ps use rolled porridge oats for a little smoothness body and head retention say 200g

9. Nov 8, 2019 #9

Deathstar

Deathstar

Deathstar

New Member Supporting Member

Thanks everyone, all good idea's and I am tweaking as I go along based on all this great advise.

10. Nov 8, 2019 #10

matt76

matt76

matt76

Landlord. Supporting Member

What he said athumb..

My IPA uses Simcoe as well as Citra & Amarillo. I don't add any hops until 20 mins before the end - late hopping as it's known. Along with a dry hop of mainly Amarillo (and a bit of Citra too) it ends up like being punched in the face with a tangerine - cracking! :laugh8:

Good luck with your brew athumb..