BITTER MINI MASH RECIPE KIT 21 LITRES

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavroz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Started another (yes addicted) brew off yesterday.

Another partial mash, this time from The Malt Miller.
It was this one https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/bitter-mini-mash-recipe-kit/

Anyway all went well but disappointed with the customer service from them.
Followed instructions but there are a few glaring issues with them.

First, the kit DOES include a 12g packet of Neales Ale Yeast. Wasted money on buying extra yeast due to this.
Second, no.8 in the instructions states top up to 23 litres. For once i was on the ball and noticed it was a 21 litre kit.
Finally, it does not state that the hop additions in the boil should be filtered out or not before putting the wort into the FV?

I emailed and asked about the points above (not the yeast), to which i got a reply about me being the brewer and it won't matter how much water the fv is topped up with and shouldn't make the brew watery although the FG will be reduced... Well, i reckon the brew would be washy with another 2 litres added.

I am still waiting on a reply to filtering/straining the boiled wort after some flannel and skirting around answering the question for some reason?? Everything has gone into the FV, afterall it can be strained when transferring to the bottling bucket as usual.

One thing is, the OG stated on the instructions is 1050, i reached 1052 which i was quite happy with.

Now everything seems to be fine and the brew is glugging away nicely now but the lack of clarity in the instructions and the wishy washy customer service from rated "professionals" has and will put me off from buying from them again.

If it came out at 52 maybe you should have added the extra water..
I've always found them decent enough although I never used kits.
Re straining it really is up to you, some do some don't.
And happily for you you now have some extra yeast which is always good to have on hand for emergencies.
Everything seems pretty sweet. Enjoy the beer!

Maybe they're in a huff cos the HBC is nicking their customers following comments made elsewhere on this very forum. Only natural, I s'pose.

I think the problem with AG kits is that the supplier will assume that they will be bought by a more experienced brewer than yourself. Your experience is very typical of mine with early grain experiments and we will not be alone in this, by any means.

FWIW, I would say that:
It is usual to strain hops out at transfer to the FV, by whatever means;
21L vs 23L is largely not relevant at this point in your brewing journey, and;
Beer will be fine anyway, so relax.

I think the problem with AG kits is that the supplier will assume that they will be bought by a more experienced brewer than yourself.

When I got the kid a gaming computer a couple of years back, the vendor was extremely helpful and patient with me regarding setting things up. I can't recall them telling me I ought to know better for having the audacity to buy it from them in the first place.

When I got the kid a gaming computer a couple of years back, the vendor was extremely helpful and patient with me regarding setting things up. I can't recall them telling me I ought to know better for having the audacity to buy it from them in the first place.

That is an excellent comment regarding customer support. My first, and last, AG kit was bought from the HBC, along their BIAB equipment pack. The instructions it came with make prefect sense now, but made rather less so then. I guess there is a fine line between leaving the buyer in the dark and patronising him.

It was just the fact their instruction was vague, missing steps and parts were blatantly wrong. The replies I got, were to me dismissive and a little unhelpful and non answered.
Never mind, probably swerve them unless the brew I made from them is fantastic. Saying that i guess the ingredients can be sourced elsewhere.

I used to be a big fan of the Malt Miller until they pulled their recipe builder when they replaced their website. They advised it was in the process of being replaced and would be back online in a few weeks. By the time it came back several months later I'd already found Geterbrewed offered the same service and were about 10% cheaper in spite of shipping from Ireland. They lost several hundred quid a year of my business there - whoever was responsible for sorting the new website wants shooting, as I bet I wasn't the only customer they lost.

One thing is, the OG stated on the instructions is 1050, i reached 1052 which i was quite happy with.

The OG quoted in AG kits can only ever be an approximation, because the OG you get will be dependent on your process, equipment and resultant mash efficiency. So everyone's will be different, unlike extract or tinned kits where you just add water and usually hit the target OG spot-on.

My advice for anybody needing customer service is, where possible, try to get it via telephone. It's too easy to rush a reply to an email whilst really busy, missing points etc, and even coming across overly succinct when you don't mean to be. The one time I needed customer service from Maltmiller, I gave them a call, and they sorted me out in short order, I'd been sent somebody else's hops on my order on a custom "kit" I'd put together (I don't do that these days, just buy grain etc and weigh it all out myself, much better value). I got to keep the hops (which given it was a nice bit of Citra, was all good) and got sent the correct ones too.

I like HBC too. Both companies use DPD. As do The Home Brew Shop, who are also very good (especially for hops). Get Er Brewed are ok too, but use Parcel Farce who I am not a fan of at all... I've used Brew UK a couple of times too, good for less widely available yeasts.

Still can't understand the love for MM, given their outrageous prices. Example: sack of Crisp Clear Choice £42.50. Worcesterhopshop don't sell any Crisp variety for over £25!! The HBC has a collosal range and also use DPD couriers, prices are very keen, quality very high and customer care and service second to none. I've no beef with MM (never used them and never will unless their prices come into line with the competition ) , I just don't understand the adoration.

Wasted money on buying extra yeast due to this.
Second, no.8 in the instructions states top up to 23 litres. For once i was on the ball and noticed it was a 21 litre kit.

You still got the yeast? Then the money is not wasted. Just spent at an unplanned time.

And my supplier sells kits with the advice: instead of 23L, go for 21L, it will be better.

Still can't understand the love for MM, given their outrageous prices. Example: sack of Crisp Clear Choice £42.50. Worcesterhopshop don't sell any Crisp variety for over £25!! The HBC has a collosal range and also use DPD couriers, prices are very keen, quality very high and customer care and service second to none. I've no beef with MM (never used them and never will unless their prices come into line with the competition ) , I just don't understand the adoration.

It only lasts up to the moment that you realise that you can buy cheaper elsewhere with the same level of service. It's a shame, as otherwise the service from Malt Miller is excellent. Some prices are comparable though, hops for example, especially if you are ordering smaller quantities, where £3 Royal Mail shipping beats the heck out of paying for either DPD rates, or the higher CML prices. I shop around, and buy from whoever gives the best price at checkout, whilst still providing a good level of service, hence I have a list of companies I use, and I'm loyal to more than one. That loyalty lasts only as long as prices remain competitive, service remains good and stuff arrives within a reasonable time frame.

Latest posts

Back