Bittering with Chinook

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Been a while since I made a mistake like this. The Challenger was meant to go in at the start of the boil, for a nice smooth bitterness, with chinook, mosaic, amarillo, simco and motueka at flame out. But somehow the Chinook went in at the start.. They both begin with "Ch" and it was a Sunday morning after a few ales the night before - that's my excuse!! It's been a long while since I bittered with chinook. I seem to remember it being a bit harsh. Anyone had any good results using Chinook for bittering?

I know it's going to be more bitter than I intended, but it's a 5.5% beer and I was shooting for 40IBU with Challenger. It's probably 50IBU now as I cut the boil short to 45 minutes. Sure it can handle it!

I'd prefer to use Chinook as a bittering hop than a late hop anyway. Just keep the challenger for another brew and use the rest of the late hops as planned. It'll turn out fine/ If you used the Tinseth calculator, the bittering hops are probably understated anyway.
However, that was many hours ago. What did you decide to do in the end?

My first attempt at my own AG recipe used Chinook to bitter. It was a bit harsh but then again I had no idea how to calculate IBUs at the time... Turned out pretty good considering.

As Ankou suggested I kept the challenger to fight another day and threw the rest of the hops in at flame out. Hoping to get this bottled at the weekend and ready for New Year.. stocks are running low. We’ll see how it turns out!

I do use chinook as bittering. My last single hop recipie is chinook and later additions of citra. It's great, 55 ibus

Just wanted to feed back - now I've drunk half a keg of this stuff! This turned out to be one of my best ales for a while! Chinook is the new magum.

I bitter with chinook often. I think it adds a little piney/resinous flavour but perhaps that’s just because I know it’s in there. Anyway point being I like it!

Latest posts

Back