Bitterness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielB

Reaction score
Hi, another post from me...

I have had a few country wines on the go - from ginger beer...to rhubarb, peach, blackberry, and strawberry.. They are all fermented to dry.

When I have racked I have had a sneaky taste..just to see how things are getting on and they all seem to have a bitterness to them.

Is that just that alcohol tastes bitter - and these are 'dry'?
Is that aftertaste something that matures away?
Am i tasting yeast, or fruit that will rack out?
Or have I got dirty?

Is that just what they taste like?

Many thanks

Daniel.

1. At the "just finished after fermentation" time, there is absolutely no chance of discovering what the wine will taste like after it has matured for a few months.
  2. The bitterness will in most cases mellow out: however, wines such as Rhubarb Wine are naturally gifted with major "mouth puckering" taste that may stay there for the whole life of the wine. I think the phrase is "an acquired taste"!
  3. Fermenting out and then sweetening (which will also reduce the bitterness) may be carried out:
    • Before bottling with Splenda or other type of sweetener that won't ferment in the bottle.
    • Before drinking by introducing a small amount of sugar into the wine before drinking.
BTW, absolutely rank wines that are severely infected:
  • Are very rare, and,
  • Will not improve in the bottle no matter how long they are kept.
From your description there is nothing to worry about, it's just a matter of having patience.

Thank you so much Dutto. I think patience is an ingredient i find hard to come across! But i hear what you are saying....

I have rhubarb, blackberry, strawberry and peach all now racked at least once - i have been led to believe that allowing them to mature in the d/j is 'better' than in bottles..?
My memory is that they all taste bitter, but this will likely mellow or change over time.
I didn't realise that back sweetening is actually a step that will likely need carrying out - but I accept this is now the case.

Out of interest, allowing the maturing in bulk - ie in the d/j...can/should I keep an airlock on? Or should I use a bored bung with cotton wool...or should i bung it fully?

As Dutto says, rhubarb is famously mouth-puckering, but I also find dry blackberry wine to be the same way.
If fermentation is definitely finished just use a solid bung. Personally I'd use cork as I find rubber bungs give a horrible taste to the wine, reminiscent of school bunsen burners.

Latest posts

Back