BJCP category for an IPL

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aolcot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
The title says it all hopefully. I'm just trying to work out the best category for a hop forward india pale lager "style" beer for a comp later on in the year... So far I've whittled it down in my mind to:

1b: american lager
2a: international pale lager
21b: specialty IPA
34c: experimental beer
LSX5: NZ pilsner (this is brewfathers best match based on the recipe, but i'm not using NZ hops specifically on this one)

Any thoughts from anyone where to place this beer category wise?
many thanks..

Just enter it as American IPA. The judges don’t know or care what yeast you used.
It depends though what he means by IPL. There’s the more traditional IPL which uses noble hops in higher proportions than usual lagers and/or dry hopped, or there’s the new trend of “Cold IPA” which is basically an American IPA fermented with a lager yeast.

I have entered it as mixed style in the last two comps I've entered in, feedback was that the lager elements were more prominent than the IPA ones and therefore German pils or NZ pils would have been a better suit for it. Not sure of this helps, but the general point was they wanted to be able to noticeably identify both styles in the drink.

I have entered it as mixed style in the last two comps I've entered in, feedback was that the lager elements were more prominent than the IPA ones and therefore German pils or NZ pils would have been a better suit for it. Not sure of this helps, but the general point was they wanted to be able to noticeably identify both styles in the drink.
Thanks, that is really useful feedback... I've got a lot of hop aroma coming out of this one and smells really good tbh!.. I think i'm all but decided to put this one into the mixed style based on your's + yeastface comments and see what the judges reckon.

Thanks, that is really useful feedback... I've got a lot of hop aroma coming out of this one and smells really good tbh!.. I think i'm all but decided to put this one into the mixed style based on your's + yeastface comments and see what the judges reckon.
I'm currently lagering my V3 as soon as it's ready id happily ping a bottle over to you for testing

I'm currently lagering my V3 as soon as it's ready id happily ping a bottle over to you for testing

Sounds awesome, would love to try one.. I'm no judge but i'll try and give it an honest appraisal!.. when my v1 is ready then happy to return the favour with one of my to try out and see what you think of it

Latest posts

Back