Black Forest Porter - First AG Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Michael

Reaction score
I've just ordered 2 lots of the AG recipe for the Black Forest porter from CAMRA's Essential Home Brewing book which I plan to brew together on my 50L brew devil.

From reading the recipe in the book, the grain bill should come to around 9.5KG, would it be a good idea to add in some rice hulls to help filtration during the mash or should it be fine without?

I'm also planning to add some whole coffee beans to one of the FV's either 1 or 2 days before bottling. The idea is to sanitise the beans by leaving them in vodka for 6 hours before putting them in a sanitised mesh bag and dropping them into the FV.

My questions are;
1. Does anyone know what a good guideline amount of coffee beans to add is? I don't want the coffee to dominant the beer or extract much of the bitterness from the coffee.
2. What would the best way to sanitise the beans be without affecting its taste? I was thinking vodka but would the alcohol content in the beer be enough to put the beans in straight from the freshly opened bag of coffee. If anyone has any experience brewing with whole coffee beans then any advice would be great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back