Black forest wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if anybody is interested but this wine was absolutely amazing, it's the best I've ever made. I took the last bottle to my sister's on boxing Day and everybody loved it. If anybody has ever tried it it tasted a bit like kumulas special reserve pinotage. I think the concord grape juice gave it a nice aftertaste despite not really being a wine grape. This was many times better then any wine kit I have used and the first from scratch brew my partner wants more of :P.

funnily enough on Thursday i started my own 2 gallon of wine using 6 x 500g of the aldi black forest fruits at a fantastic £1.49 per packet. I used 10ltr water and added 3kg sugar, and the sg came out at a handy 1.100. i like to make at least a litre more than exactly 2 gallon and ferment it alongside the 2 demijohns to use for top up's both after secondary totally finishes and at the first racking after another 2 months or so. I used a half teaspoon on my own mix acid blend and Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. After a month or so when it's fermented fully my wines usually come in somewhere around 0.992, and after at least 6 months conditioning, then backsweetening brings it near the 1.000 mark, roughly 13%. BTW i use a 1/16th tsp of sodmet per gallon instead of campden tablets, and also add fermentation stopper just before conditioning. I did this after worrying experience a few years ago when my crystal clear strawberry wine became slightly 'cloudy' when i added FS and a campden just prior to bottling, and it's worked great since. I still aint sure what the cause was but suspect the filler & binding agents used in the campden, or maybe something in the FS, anyhoo it doesnt matter now. Only problem i have is it will be a year before i drink it, no substitute for time to get the best taste !!. GL

Latest posts

Back