black IPA malt recipe ideas please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replacing some of the Cara 3 with midnight wheat is supposed to reduce the ‘oilyness’ worked for me.
I tend to only cold strep for 30 mins to avoid too much roastiness and put about 100g on top of mash during sparging.
You don’t want a hoppy stout.

The dark malts do and should contribute to the flavour, which should be rich, but not roast. This blends with the hops typically citra and amarillo to give a lush pungency on top of a smooth café au lait which is more than just the sum of its parts. I would say that while it is a bit like an AIPA but darker, the mouthfeel is quite different. Somebody said its more like an ovethopped schwarzbier than a porter, but I'm not all that familiar with schwarzbier.
Some brewers treat schwarz bier like a black pilsner.

I might give this a try for my next brew. Just reading up on the style. So you basically want it black without imparting any flavours from the carafa. I was looking at stones version they use 70g of Chinook at 90 mins. I think that's too much for my taste. I will probably bring the abv down to around 6.5% as well.

I might give this a try for my next brew. Just reading up on the style. So you basically want it black without imparting any flavours from the carafa. I was looking at stones version they use 70g of Chinook at 90 mins. I think that's too much for my taste. I will probably bring the abv down to around 6.5% as well.
You could give this a try, if you have the ingredients or when it comes back in stock. The commercial version is a great beer.
Elusive Brewing - Shadow of the Beast

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/elusive-brewing-shadow-of-the-beast/

The brewer also brewed this again yesterday and tweeted his brewday. the thread starts here.

Ok I have this current mashing at 62 degrees. I went for
5kg Marris otter
500g light Munich
200g caramunich 1
Cold steep for 5hrs 500g of carafa 3 plus 100g of carafa 1 in 2 litres of water which will be added to the boil.

30g of Magnum @ 60 mins
15g of each Simcoe & mosaic @10 mins
35g of each @ hopstand
50g of each dry hop on day 10

Yeast will be Pia.
OG 1.060
I also added 300g of sugar @10 mins

Last edited:
Ok I have this current mashing at 62 degrees. I went for
5kg Marris otter
500g light Munich
200g caramunich 1
Cold steep for 5hrs 500g of carafa 3 plus 100g of carafa 1 in 2 litres of water which will be added to the boil.

30g of Magnum @ 60 mins
15g of each Simcoe & mosaic @10 mins
35g of each @ hopstand
50g of each dry hop on day 10

Yeast will be Pia.
I will update the numbers later 👍
Simcoe and mosaic are a classic combination 👍👍👍

A brew tuber recently made a BIPA using this White labs recipe with some 'C' hops:

Black IPA

Yeast: WLP013 London Ale Yeast or WLP862 Cry Havoc

Original Gravity:

Final Gravity: 1.010

Estimated ABV: 6.3

IBUs: 55.4

Grain (single infusion mash at 150°F):

79.8% 2-row barley (10lbs 3.8oz)

6% Flaked Rye (12.4oz)

3.8% Crystal 60L (7.7oz)

3.8% Crystal 120L (7.7oz)

3.8% Roasted Wheat (7.7oz)

2.8% Carafa III (5.8oz)

Hops:

60 minutes
0.3 oz Columbus CTZ (14.5 IBUs)

30 minutes
0.6 oz Chinook (18.7 IBUs)

15 minutes
0.6 oz Chinook (12.1 IBUs)

05 minutes
.6 oz Cascade (2.1 IBUs)

Whirlpool
0.6 oz Cascade (2.6 IBUs)

0.6 oz Citra (5.6 IBUs)

Its

I take it the salts added werent the amounts you added?
I would have to double check as my saved recipes aren't always exactly what happens on the day, especially fermentation profile etc. They're probably not far off though. They are based on RO water and what Brewers Friend/BeerSmith point to. No flags were raised in the water profile editor.
I would like to say I am no expert though, just an enthusiastic amateur. The beer tasted great and I'm still alive, but if anyone has constructive criticism I'm all for that. We should never stop learning!

I would have to double check as my saved recipes aren't always exactly what happens on the day, especially fermentation profile etc. They're probably not far off though. They are based on RO water and what Brewers Friend/BeerSmith point to. No flags were raised in the water profile editor.
I would like to say I am no expert though, just an enthusiastic amateur. The beer tasted great and I'm still alive, but if anyone has constructive criticism I'm all for that. We should never stop learning!
Couldnt agree more. I found though like another thread on this post about not much agents needed when using darker grains

Would you suggest more calcium sulphate to make the hops ‘pop’? I guess I might be being cautious about going OTT, I’m not sure I enjoy an overly mineral water profile.

Would you suggest more calcium sulphate to make the hops ‘pop’? I guess I might be being cautious about going OTT, I’m not sure I enjoy an overly mineral water profile.
I wouldnt have a clue mate but ive found even too much doesnt do too much harm.

I wouldnt have a clue mate but ive found even too much doesnt do too much harm.
TBH, lately I’ve been trying the ‘Shoddy’ approach and seeing how a streamlined process turns out, I’ve been presently surprised. Amongst other things I’ve been using tap water treated with campden and no mineral additions. I will be returning to RO and minerals next time though. When I have a hoppy one I might not hold back with the gypsum and report back!

Latest posts

Back