Black IPA recipe thoughts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrain83

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd be grateful on your thoughts on this:

Golden Promise: 71%
Munich: 12%
Carafa Special III: 9%
Caramunich III: 8%

Hops I'm currently thinking:

Tettnang as bittering hop with a bit of Bramley Cross for about 30 mins and then Bramley Cross dry hopping. I'd quite like to get some dark fruit aromas and taste so was wondering if anyone had some good hop combinations as an alternative? I'm feeling plums, dark berries etc

Yeast- WLP007

This should get me to 1.060 OG and 1.012 FG with EBC about 75 and on the quantities I'm currently thinking on the hops an IBU of 60. But I'm wondering if because of my grain bill I'll need to go quite big on hops to balance it?

Any thoughts would be appreciate thank you!

I've made this recipe (or very similar) a few times now, and very good it is too.

I think you're bang on with your grain bill but I would rethink your hops...

I believe old world hops, like the ones you've selected are, are much more subtle in flavour - I suspect the flavours you're after (FWIW, I like the idea of what you're going for) will be rather overshadowed by the malt flavours.

For me you'd be better off looking to modern American hops with their big punchy flavours to make a textbook Black IPA.

But hey, who's to say everything has to be done by the book! I'm all up for a bit of experimentation and maybe Bramling Cross will work out exactly as you hope.

Try it and see, most likely you'll still make a nice beer and there's always the chance to tweak it next time if it's not quite right.

I am currently drinking my black IPA, I used Simcoe and mosiac. It's a nice pint IMG_20200518_205515137.jpg

Cheers everyone, this was really helpful. Will let you know how it turns out and what I finally go for!

Back