Black ipa with English hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I seem to have accumulated over 300g of challenger and 100g of fuggles. Could I make a black ipa with these? I haven't decided on a grain bill yet, and I can buy other hops if necessary.
TIA for any help

Last edited:
You can make a English style IPA with English hops. Giggles is a new one on me and I did a search and found nothing, what are they and what flavours do they give?

I have done A English IPA and as you say just switch the hops to suit what I have got, makes a change from the fruity American styles just be careful with your IBU's if you do not like them too bitter or whirlpool to get loads of hop flavour which will also reduce the IBU ratio to hops down a little

I prefer to do Whirlpool hopping especially if you want loads of hops in to give flavour.
I would whirlpool at 80C for 30 minutes with the hops to the IBU level I want the beer to be.
I use Brewers Friend to calculate this but other recipe builders will do similar.
Or you could just follow the GW recipe and hopping schedule with adjustments to the AA's of the hops.
Good Luck

This is just a thought, but I'd be worried about getting grassy flavours from a lot of hopsteep and dry hops.
Ive just got hold of a 250 of harlequin as it's alleged to be full of fruity, New World flavours. Haven't tried them yet, though.
Harlequin and Godiva should be an interesting blend. Doesn't help you get rid of your challenger, though.

Instead of looking at it from an English IPA, try approaching it from an historic Export Stout/Porter perspective. Take Kernels Export Stout as an example, dark malts and lots of English hops that work extremely well together. Dial back the abv and roasted malts and you're almost there.

Instead of looking at it from an English IPA, try approaching it from an historic Export Stout/Porter perspective. Take Kernels Export Stout as an example, dark malts and lots of English hops that work extremely well together. Dial back the abv and roasted malts and you're almost there.
Good shout, that Kernel recipe (export porter? 😁) is very, very good.

I'm looking at this recipe kernel export porter | Foreign Extra Stout All Grain Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend and it uses a piddling amount of hops. The OP will need to brew enough to refloat the Titanic. But it's a great idea. Surely some of thee early beer are a bit hoppier. I'll have a look in bit.

My memory is that it was quite hoppy, but they do use different hops each time they brew it. The choice of whoever is brewing on that particular day. So, swapping those high alpha hops for Fuggle would at least double that hop bill. Incidentally, I have the book that Kernel provided that recipe to, and they state Brambling Cross as being their favourite. Aiming for 48 ibus overall (perhaps 12 ibus at each addition).

Although, I wasn't so much as suggesting to use it as base for a recipe. More making the point that looking to 1800s Export Stouts and India Porters would give a better indication of whether Fuggles etc. work with the roasted malts of a BIPA.

Last edited:
I'm looking at this recipe kernel export porter | Foreign Extra Stout All Grain Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend and it uses a piddling amount of hops. The OP will need to brew enough to refloat the Titanic. But it's a great idea. Surely some of thee early beer are a bit hoppier. I'll have a look in bit.
This is the recipe I've got in my book and have brewed a couple of times, both with bramling cross
IMG_20220420_182613690.jpg

Maybe a bitter, like ESB.

Or a black IPA.

Pale ale plus 10-15% roasted wheat.

Just one 60 min addition and then a huge load at flameout.

Back