Black malt recipe ideas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portreath

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

I have a surplus of black malt, must have approx 700g. Does anyone have a recipe that will use up a fair bit of this.?

Hi

I have a surplus of black malt, must have approx 700g. Does anyone have a recipe that will use up a fair bit of this.?
Maximum recommended use is 10% in a sweetish stout. Anything above that will taste pretty acrid. So a 25 litre batch with 5Kg pale malt, 500 g crystal and no more than 500 of black might give you something drinkable, especially if you let it age.
But why do you need to use it up? It'll keep, literally for years and years if it's kept well. The water content is virtually nil compared with base malt. If you have to throw some away it's not expensive for a new half kilo or so, maybe £1.50 max.

Last edited:
Good point on keepability, I never realised it would last so long. I've played with the BF calculator and come up with a dry stout idea. Any thoughts on how this looks?
recipe.png

You're reducing the amount of black by substituting roast barley, but that'll give a better flavour. The oats will alter the mouthfeel, making it smoother, but also reduce the size and duration of the head; you might put some wheat malt in there to compensate. All looks good. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the input and the tips, really helpful. In the absence of any wheat malt, I'm going to compensate with bran flakes. Oh well needs must!

A few years ago I put together a recipe to mimic the porter that was made in the 1800s shortly after the switch from all brown malt.
76% maris otter pale ale malt*
20% brown malt
4% black patent malt
mid 60s IBUs of goldings
s-04
O G 1.058
F G 1.016
It's now my go to porter recipe.
Some day I plan to brew it with chevallier
heritage grain.

Well I brewed it yesterday and left it to chill overnight. Guess I need to readjust the estimated brew house efficiency as this came out at 1.065 as opposed to 1.049 .wozzers!! but bang on the volume target of 19 ltrs
Oh, at approx 71% attenuation using MG liberty bell ale yeast that comes out at 6.2% abv

Latest posts

Back