Black Mould on a Vial

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Mrobson

Reaction score
I’ve had a vial of yeast in the fridge for a few months and finally got round to using it. I boiled some light DME for the starter and when I opened the vial to pitch I noticed the lid was full of black mould and smelled of what I can only describe as wet wood. With nothing to loose I wiped away what I could from the top of vial, gave it a good shake with my starsan’ed finger over the top and pitched it anyway.

2F3C1C7C-5418-4D0F-B57E-C133244DE2CC.jpeg
96399BAB-1C36-47AE-A46F-CDE09A622276.jpeg
019724A7-F3B7-4263-BDB7-08C50EAD0975.jpeg

The starter seems very dark to me which is making me worried. I’ve got a cherry stout planned for the weekend, what’s the chances that the yeast is going to be usable or is it down to the beer gods? Would I be stupid to take the risk?

Cheers

Edit - it’s a proper Kveik strain, not an isolate

Last edited:

the baron

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not a yeast expert but doesn't look good to me I am sure the yeast masters will comment

Mrobson

Reaction score
Ye that’s what I was thinking too, going to let it ferment out anyway

Cheers

Mrobson

Reaction score
I left this to ferment out and have the slurry drying in the spare room. I tasted the starter and couldn’t taste anything out of the ordinary, given it was only a few days old tho. Would a spell in the freezer kill whatever the black mould was or would making a batch with this yeast still be a gamble?

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ditch it. It's more likely than not that it'll ruin your beer.
You can wash yeast with a chemical to kill the non yeasts. Forgotten the name.
I think BeerCat's referring to acid washing, which, I think, uses phosphoric acid to get rid of bacteria. Probably doesn't work with moulds.

Have you got any bottles of the beer you originally used that yeast for? You could make a starter up from the sediment.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Ditch it. It's more likely than not that it'll ruin your beer.

I think BeerCat's referring to acid washing, which, I think, uses phosphoric acid to get rid of bacteria. Probably doesn't work with moulds.

Have you got any bottles of the beer you originally used that yeast for? You could make a starter up from the sediment.
Yes your right been reading up on it. Interesting topic. I would dump the yeast and buy more.

Mrobson

Reaction score
From what I’ve read mould can be quite resilient.

The yeast discussed in this topic in Espe, would anyone be up for a yeast swap? I’ve got both dried and slurry of the kveik strains I’ve currently got.