Black Rock Mai Bock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bort

Reaction score
Today I’ve started a 1.7kg Black Rock beer in the fermentation vessel called Mai Bock although when I bought it I didn’t realise it was a two-can kit so I have decided to play around with it...

I’ve brewed to 16 litres with the malt extract kit, above. To it I have added 1kg of glucose sugar and 500g of medium spray malt and the single sachet of kit yeast. The brew is in the utility room now at a steady 22degC thanks to my new heat band with signs of fermentation already starting.

The O.G. is a massive 1.064 as a result of this with a target of 1.014 but I am not sure I’ll be able to get it this low as I think I may have put too much fermentable sugars in to the brew so I’d be really interested to see what people think this beer may develop in to with my butchered approach to today’s brew? If I do hit the kit’s target gravity we’re looking at a 6.6% strength beer... woah!

So this Black Rock Mai Bock was bottled on 10/01/21 with a F.G of 1.014 which gave a beer of 6.5% - not far off my initial estimates, above. It's had a few weeks in the bottles and I've had quite a few of these now and it's pretty damn good although you really can taste its strength. For my efforts playing around with it a little (remember it was a two-can kit), I am quite pleased with it and would do it again although using both cans correctly would be my preference.

Latest posts

Back