Black Rock Miners Stout substitute for coopers stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike600

Reaction score
Ok here goes. I was looking at the thread for the coopers stout but i was unable get it at Lhbs, instead I used Black rock miners stout.

2 cans of black rock stout
1kg of Light DME
1Kg of soft dark brown sugar
i Pk of muntons gold yeast.
heater set at 20C
(I forgot to add the chocolate, kids played up and i got side tracked)
The question i have is two days after pitching the yeast it was going like the clappers, thought the lid was going to blow off, foam everywhere, then the next day it was all calm, hardly any foam. did i mess up with the sugar??
New to experimenting with kits.
It did smell verry nice when i was mixing in the Fv

What volume did you brew to? That's a hell of a lot of fermentable in there.
At a guess that stout if it finishes is going to be upwards of 10%

That may be your problem. 1 packet of yeast may not be able to cope with so much sugar.

Do you have a hydrometer?

Thanks for reply's.
I did use the 2 kits with 1 pack of muntons, total volume i did was 23L.
the SG WAS 1110 it is now down to 1020. Waiting for it to be the same for 3 days.
Airlock still going slowly, one other thing i forgot to do was add the chocolate (coco powder cadburys bournville) 250g at the start . Was wondering if i can add it when i transfer to a keg??? And will 250g be enough, maybe 500g.
Thanks for help.

I suspect it's too late, but not absolutely sure. But it probably doesn't need it. You can add coffee at this stage.

Forgot about coffee, how much should I add to 40 pints (which coffee). i did try some and found it sweet, with a strong taste like Tennants super. perhaps the coffee will tame the sweetness a bit.

I'd maybe about half a litre of ground coffee I think, in a cafetiere or something. It tastes strong and sweet cos you put so much malt and sugar in there. What's the gravity now, do you know? Has it finished fermenting?

Forgot about coffee, how much should I add to 40 pints (which coffee)
I recently did a 19 litre short brew Coopers Stout and put in three shots of espresso from my machine (equivalent to three measures of Italian Roast coffee) and the outcome, which I am drinking as I write :drink: , is a hint of coffee but not overpowering. That is what I wanted. How much of that comes from the original kit I have no idea. But it has worked. :thumb:.

It finished at 1020. going to leave it until first week in december b4 trying, how long should I realy leave it? The prob I have with the brews is, when it shows it is clearing I start to drink it. got them in king keg top tap.
How long should I leave Bad Cat and Tripple Tykes ?
Any one know if there are any homebrew clubs in the Cwmbran area?

It finished at 1020. going to leave it until first week in december b4 trying, how long should I realy leave it? The prob I have with the brews is, when it shows it is clearing I start to drink it. got them in king keg top tap.
My Coopers stout went into a PB.
After 3 days it was drinkable, and served with a good creamy head, although now after just over three weeks it has mellowed out quite a lot losing a lot of its initial fruitiness.
If its anything like any other stout you will not know whether it has properly cleared or not.
So maybe start 'sampling' next week and then carry on and see how it matures like mine is doing?

I realise this thread is OLD! but how did it go? only ask as I can get really cheap minors stout and might try it with 2 cans.

Latest posts

Back