Black Rock - Nut Brown Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bort

Reaction score
Last week I bottled 23 litres of Black Rock's Nut Brown Ale in 500ml PET bottles after a fairly faultless fermentation.

I brewed-up on 15/02/21 with the single-can kit and 1kg of Young's Beer Enhancer with an O.G of 1.040 and on 04/03/21 the fermentation had ended and F.G was 1.008 giving a 4.2% strength ale. The bottles are now in store until the end of the month (at least) with 1tsp of priming sugar per bottle although from now on I'll be using carbonation drops to make the bottling process more straightforward.

Has anyone else brewed this kit and, if so, can I look forward to a quality product?

I've started cracking open a few of these beers and they're quite fizzy so I think I may have over-sugared them at the priming stage. It's pretty bubbly when poured in to the glass but straight from the bottle they're pretty nice although it's more a fizzy lager style than a smooth bitter although I'm not sure what a brown ale should feel like. That said, it's very drinkable and I'm content with the result of this brew.

I just over carbed a mild I made adding too much sugar to the bottle. My plan is to vent them down before they go in the fridge. It's in PET bottles so it's easy. I've done the same with crimp on crown caps lifting just enough to let the pressure out then recrimping.

Well, the 'venting' method certainly works... the beer is far less gassy now and doesn't cause an immense head when poured. Thanks so much for the tip - one I'll certainly be using in future for over-primed bottles.

Back