Blackberry/Elderberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its that time of year again - and its been a bumper crop for blackberries around our way. But the damned birds have decimated my elderberry crop unfortunately.
However with limited time available to me for picking, I have been filling a doggy pooh bag each time I take the mutts out and bunging them in the freezer when I get home for the past 2 weeks. Ideally i want to try finding 2 hours this weekend and go on a specific scavenging session, as i reckon i can get another 3-5kg in that time to do a purely blackberry wine and some blackberry cider....

Anyway, result is 2.5Kg of blackberries and 700gm elderberries in the freezer.
Mrs Nicks90 has stolen 500gm of the berries and put that in a 2l bottle with a liter of Vodka for our annual Blackberry Vodka special and the rest is for wine!

2kg Blackberries
700gm Elderberries
2kg Sugar

Method:
Bring 5l water to the boil and add the sugar. Turn off the heat and add all the defrosted berries to 'flash sterilise' them and leave to cool overnight. Added cooled boiled water to bring it to 10l by volume and dumped it in my bucket with half a packet of mangrove jacks R56 yeast. Once that primary fermentation is complete, I should have enough for 2 demijohns for secondary fermentation. At that point i will do a PH test and possibly add a little acidex if its a bit 'piquant' and then it can be racked again for final aging until next Easter. No pectolase added, as i forgot last year but the wine came out beautifully clear anyway. So going with the same process again.
OG is always a little tricky, as its hard to tell how much sugar will leach out of the fruit. But initial gravity reading was showing as 1.085. If it gets down to 1.000 then it should be a pleasant 11.5%

Attachments

• IMG_20210916_103837.jpg
    IMG_20210916_103837.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210916_103830.jpg
    IMG_20210916_103830.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 35
Pretty much like mine except the birds didn't get my elderberries so I've made it 50:50 with blackberries. While I like blackberry wine, I'm not so keen on elderberry on its own and I'm hoping the mixture will be better.
Just got the last bucket full of cultivated and wild blackberries from the garden and I'm half a kilo short for a 5 litre batch so I'm going to chop half a kilo of raisons and mix them in. It'll be fine, the French will drink anything as long as it says wine on the bottle.
Country wines are virtually unknown here and guests are generally astonished, indeed incredulous, when I tell them what's in the stuff I make.

I like elderberry wine, but it takes Forever to age... Like 18-24 months to mellow out.
Bb+eb mix is ready to rock and roll after 9 months and at its best at 12. So it falls nicely in to the yearly circle of life of 'Oooo, there's blackberries to pick, I can now open a bottle of wine'

I made a similar wine last year, with 9lb blackberries and 1 lb elderberries.
Bottled one demi John and drank it young, was very nice, dry and full bodied.
Came out around 11%, started at 1.084..
IMG_2020-11-19-19-24-59-371.jpg

Still got a couple of demi johns maturing which I will bottle soon,
will be interested to see how it is a year later.

2 bottles wasn't a good idea, woke up at 4am half off the sofa and the remains of the last glass spilt on the carpet....
No hangover though, a lot to be said for not using any chemicals in my brews

After seeing this thread i opened a bottle from August 2021. Came out very nice with a ABV of 13.23%

Attachments

• IMG_20230202_173648540~2.jpg
    IMG_20230202_173648540~2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back