Blackberry pulp cider ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janulka098

Reaction score
This is a really silly question. Making blackberry wine and will strain the fruit in couple of days. I was thinking keeping the pulp and chucking some apple juice on top of it to make a turbo berry cider. Is this a good idea or the blackberry pulp is spent and will only impart horrible flavour. Thank you

Hi Janulka. I personally don't think there will be enough blackberry juice left in the pulp once it has been strained, to use in a TC. I have just made a country wine recipe using fresh peaches and I mashed them down to a pulp before straining through a muslin cloth into a DJ and placed an airlock in the top. The peach pulp left didn't look like it could be used so I put it on my compost heap to break down.
There may well be someone along here shortly, with more knowledge than me and tell you something different.

I am looking to make a dark fruits TC using blackcurrants and blackberries, but am having trouble finding a 100% blackcurrant juice. In Tesco and Sainsburys you can buy Copella blackberry and apple which is 100% juice. Might have to use Ribena which is 35% juice, or resort to using real fruit.

Hi Janulka. I personally don't think there will be enough blackberry juice left in the pulp once it has been strained, to use in a TC. I have just made a country wine recipe using fresh peaches and I mashed them down to a pulp before straining through a muslin cloth into a DJ and placed an airlock in the top. The peach pulp left didn't look like it could be used so I put it on my compost heap to break down.
There may well be someone along here shortly, with more knowledge than me and tell you something different.

I am looking to make a dark fruits TC using blackcurrants and blackberries, but am having trouble finding a 100% blackcurrant juice. In Tesco and Sainsburys you can buy Copella blackberry and apple which is 100% juice. Might have to use Ribena which is 35% juice, or resort to using real fruit.
Thank you. In the end I have put some apple juice (4l) on top of the pulp (not squeezed it too much as had enough for wine) and without even adding any yeast the residual yeast is working like a trooper. Not sure if end up with cider as such but will see what happens. At the end after fermenting will mix it with some blackcurrant No added sugar cordial (double strength) for sweetness
and add 6tsp sugar before bottling. Hopefully will end up with some fruity cider thing :)

Good luck with it Janulka.
Thank you very much. I have used some real blackcurrant a in blackberry wine. Only used a handful as they are quite a strong flavour (got a bush in garden and nobody wants to eat them as they are so strong :) it gave it a nice hint but more than handful would have been too much. Blackberries are everywhere at the moment. Got another 3kg of the buggers together with some elderberries and red grape juice on a go - hopefully ends up a nice red. Experimenting with country wines as it’s free :)

Way to go! Foraging in the undergrowth for Mother Natures bounty is a wonderful thing and picking fruit helps to encourage the bushes to produce more fruit in the future!

clapaathumb..

Back