Blackberry wine recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclops

Landlord.
Reaction score
Been out picking at the bottom of my parents garden and got a few blackberries. Got around 14lb of them and eye are currently sitting in the freezer. If I need more than that there are plenty left to grab some more.
usyzupet.jpg

Pic of part of the jungle. Lol

I been picking like crazy lately, got around 22lbs from a bit of land near me.

Going by Jack Keller, 6lb for heavy bodied, 4lb for medium bodied, 1 bag of sugar.

Keep some frozen and add Elderberries to them when they come out?, still green round here.

I seem to apply a general rule of thumb to wine 4.5lb of fruit per gallon, then sugar to hit target gravity.

Walking through Sainsburys and spotted they had Blackberries on the shelf, did a rough calculation....
£2 for 225g, in that case I have about £80 in the freezer!!

MadrikXIV said:
I seem to apply a general rule of thumb to wine 4.5lb of fruit per gallon, then sugar to hit target gravity.

I went picking some the other day and put 2 gallons on. In my head, from memory I thought 4lb per gallon and so when I weighed and it came to 9lb I thought "2 gallons will do, it'll just be a bit more bodied".

By your reckoning, I've actually got it spot on! :cheers:

Hi, last year we used this recipe:
4lb/1.75kg blackberries
3lb/1.5kg sugar
red wine yeast
1tsp yeast nutrient

I found the recipe on ' Whytes Home Wine Equipment' website.

It was our first attempt at brewing any type of wine and it turned out lovely :)

Was aiming for around 30 bottles so may need to go get some more. Will give this a bash at the weekend. Is there a set way of fermenting this?

Cyclops said:
Was aiming for around 30 bottles so may need to go get some more. Will give this a bash at the weekend. Is there a set way of fermenting this?

I was aiming at this recipe
BLACKBERRY WINE (1) [Heavy Bodied]

6 lb blackberries
2-1/2 lb granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
7 pts water
wine yeast and nutrient

Wash berries thoroughly in colander, then crush in bowl, trasnfer to primary fermentation vessel, and pour 7 pts. boiling water over must. Allow to steep for two days, then strain through nylon sieve onto the sugar. Stir well to dissolve sugar, add pectic enzyme, cover well, and set aside for 24 hours. Add yeast and nutrient, cover, and set aside 5-6 days, stirring daily. Pour into secondary fermentation vessel of dark glass (or wrap clear glass with brown paper), filling only to the upper shoulder of the secodary, and fit airlock. Leftover must should be placed in a 1.5-liter wine bottle with airlock (a #2 bung fits most 1.5-liter wine bottles) and used for topping up. Top up when all danger of foaming over is past. Place in cool (60-65 degrees F.) dark place for three months. Rack, allow another two months to finish, then rack again and bottle in dark glass. Allow 6 months to age, a year to mature. [Adapted from C.J.J. Berry's 130 New Winemaking Recipes]

But hoping to multiply everything by 5

It's what I'm aiming for, just need to get to around 10-15 kilo's of fruit, shall avoid paying £100 for such a quantity in Sainsburys :D

Then just need another couple of kilos for some jam and mix with elderberry, it's never ending :?

With the recipe we used we just made 5 times as much, which made around 25-30 bottles :)

Blackberries up here seem to be ready for picking now :) will be out this weekend I think. Got about 3kg last year. First time making wine though this year. I don't have any demijohns though so would 5I bottles of water (which would cost next to nothing) be fine to ferment in?

nerobot said:
Blackberries up here seem to be ready for picking now :) will be out this weekend I think. Got about 3kg last year. First time making wine though this year. I don't have any demijohns though so would 5I bottles of water (which would cost next to nothing) be fine to ferment in?

Yes, they're absolutely fine, but you'll need to find a way to get an airlock into the lid. Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10179

Also, where is 'here'?

hypnoticmonkey said:
nerobot said:

Yes, they're absolutely fine, but you'll need to find a way to get an airlock into the lid. Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10179

Also, where is 'here'?

Thanks for the link. Here is Glasgow :)

the easiest way to fit an airlock onto a 5 litre PET

heat the end of a screw with a lighter and push it through the lid
this will make a hole and make the plastic soft around the hole
quickly push the airlock and leave it to set

done in 30 seconds, no drill required :thumb:

godfrey said:

I think this deserves to be placed on the 'How to' section! (With adequate safety warnings, of course!)

godfrey said:

Thanks for the info. Though I'll probably use an old tip on a soldering iron. Should do the job just as well :-)

Steven

godfrey said:

My method is a wiggle a flat header screwdriver, or scissors, once the hole is a reasonable size, push a biro through, reckon that takes 30 seconds, just don't hold the cap in the palm of your hand, or rested on your leg :D

Back