Blackcurrant Wine from frozen fruit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

spouse has kindly offered me 3lb of blackcurrants from the freezer to make a gallon of wine. Would it be better to thaw them out before pouring the boiling water over them or can I just crack on?

Hi all,

spouse has kindly offered me 3lb of blackcurrants from the freezer to make a gallon of wine. Would it be better to thaw them out before pouring the boiling water over them or can I just crack on?
I normally puree any frozen fruit killing of any wild yeast and breaking down the fruit in the process.

Crack on with boiling water to thaw them out 👍
I always use fruit from the freezer because of picking when its ripe and keep putting the picked fruit in the freezer until have enough to make wine.

I always add a campden tablet and leave 24 hours for fruit and flower wine so frozen or not makes no difference. The boiling water to dissolve the sugar will melt the frozen fruit and the campden tablet annihilates any lurking wild yeast anyway.
Then I pitch next day. Love that time. Makes me feel like Victor Frankenstein lol

also if you get them a bit defrosted I like to mash that sort of thing a bit with a sterilised implement before bungIng in the campden tablet

Well, it's in the bucket. Smells good!

The recipes I've looked at quite often include an acid addition. I always thought that blackcurrant wine was naturally acidic enough, in fact often too much so. What do others do?

I didnt add any, it turned out quite nice and dont think it missed it. But I didnt bother checking the acidity either to see if it needed to be adjusted.

Just checking my recipe, made 29 bottles in the end from 6kg of fruit and some red grape juice concentrate, used Lalvin 71B yeast, added potassium sorbate and campden tablets with 100g sugar before bottling.

No tannin either!
I've only made it once so not sure if it would be better with tannin. I wouldn't think so though.

Might be worth a go to make a light 'rose' with additions of white grape juice / concentrate, sultanas, somethingvlike that.
I've not done it, sounds like a nice experiment to try.
I think the blackcurrants would give colour still, no idea how it would taste!
Love to hear how it turns out if you do it.

The original is now in demijohn and fermenting well, SG was 1018 at transfer.

The local shop didn't have any white grape juice so my remaining litre of red went over the pulp along with some sugar syrup and yeast nutrient. No tannin. Fermentation started almost immediately. Looking good so far...

Back