Bleach clean....or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used bleach before but as you say @pilgrimhudd it's quite hard to find the thin stuff and more often than not it's got some sort of perfume or surfactant in it.
I must admit I switched to sodium percarbonate a while back and stuck with it: cheap, works astonishingly well and degrades into harmless stuff after an hour so it's easy to dispose of athumb..

Bleach is fine so long as all residue is removed. I have heard that even a speck of bleach left behind can ruin a batch. I used THIN bleach when I first started out. Never had any issues but I stopped using it years ago.

Bleach is fine so long as all residue is removed. I have heard that even a speck of bleach left behind can ruin a batch. I used THIN bleach when I first started out. Never had any issues but I stopped using it years ago.

Yes i've heard that, I do rinse my kit well after and have never had a problem thankfully. Thankfully i'm not on a water meter!

I've used bleach before but as you say @pilgrimhudd it's quite hard to find the thin stuff and more often than not it's got some sort of perfume or surfactant in it.
I must admit I switched to sodium percarbonate a while back and stuck with it: cheap, works astonishingly well and degrades into harmless stuff after an hour so it's easy to dispose of athumb..

Yeah why is thin bleach hard to find do you think?

Sorachi ace is great in a Saison. You should get hints of lemon. Some say they get a taste of dill. The yeast should give a dry finish with pepper, spice.
Make sure you get a high carbonation it really improves this style of beer.
I use thin bleach at 2.5mg per litre to give my stuff a good soak, I give everything a rinse, allow to dry and then spray with star san, not had a problem since.

That said, im having terrible trouble finding thin bleach at the moment so I've got cheap milton for my next brew.
Hi Pilgrim i use the cheap miltons from b&m poundland 75p a litre never had a prob

I think the myth about not using bleach stems from the catering industry where I believe it is definitely not allowed. You can imagine in the chaos of a commercial kitchen the use of bleach, which is poisonous, is an accident waiting to happen.
For home use, however, it's not a problem at all. I use it in my FVs though for my bottles I prefer cooking them in the oven.
I haven't seen thin bleach for years though, so just use a splash of thick bleach. Needs more rinsing out though.

I juts use the cheapest baby bottle sanitiser tablets I can buy.
Usually b&m or pound land. 50 tablets for £1. 4 tablets in my Belfast sink and fill it up giving the right concentration. Rinse all the bottles in it and leave with an inch or so of the solution in the bottom and leave to stand for 30 minutes. Then rinse through and jobs jobbed. Never had an issue so far.
Same for the FV. 2 tablets and a few liters of water and swirl it around every few minutes whilst the wort is boiling, then use the hot water from the wort chiller to rinse it out.

Latest posts

Back