Blichman beer gun 2 advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Finally after 3 years sitting in a box I’m going to use this for the first time. After reading instructions and viewing videos Im still a bit unclear on one point.

The recommended pressure for transfer is 2 to 5psi, however I have a Kölsch carbonated at 2.7 as per style so even at 0c it will be at a pressure of around 10 psi.

So question is how do you keep lager high carbonation levels with the beer gun? Is it simply a case of releasing pressure from keg down to 5psi and transferring quick enough so that the beer looses minimal carbonation? Should I set the carbonation maybe at 2.8 for a few days before relieving pressure down to 5psi for transfer to allow for any losses?

Any Tips fro folks with experience here will be most appreciated!

Cheers.

Disconnect the beer out line, dial the regulator down to 5 psi, release the pressure from the head space on the keg, then connect the beer gun beer connection, purge the bottle with CO2 then fill with beer.

I did some earlier and if the beer is overcarbed it is a faff to fill the bottles and if you are switching between multiple kegs you need to purge the line into a glass to get a clear run of the new beer through, apart from that it's simple.

Depends on the style, but this was a Speckled Hen and I think I force carved it too much, a lack of fridge space means I tend to force carb them so they are carved and can condition at room temp.

Another thing with the Blichman, it's pretty uneconomic filling one bottle with the line wastage then cleaning through afterwards, I did o e bottle of each of the six beers I have at the moment and with the Hen foaming as well I wasted half as much as I bottled, which is frustrating.

This is a krolsch so will be well carbed but I will set the fridge to zero. Going to either bottle the whole batch or half the batch so hopefully minimal wastage.

Quick question on gas line, I could forget the gas tubing and connects that comes with it, and just connect regular gas line to the gun and my John guest splitter. I Will have to cut up the tubing that comes with it to get the barb for the beer gun though.

Alternatively I could get another John guest fitting with a male thread to 3/8. Seems to be the same thread needed as a Dicsonnect.

I’d be interested to hear what have others done?

Quick question on gas line, I could forget the gas tubing and connects that comes with it, and just connect regular gas line to the gun and my John guest splitter. I Will have to cut up the tubing that comes with it to get the barb for the beer gun though.

Alternatively I could get another John guest fitting with a male thread to 3/8. Seems to be the same thread needed as a Dicsonnect.

I’d be interested to hear what have others done?

I added a JG adapter for the gas line. I might look to go down the pvc route in future though as beer line is quite restrictive when bottling/canning 🍺

I added a JG adapter for the gas line. I might look to go down the pvc route in future though as beer line is quite restrictive when bottling/canning 🍺

in the end I had all the fittings about so just used them and left the gas connection and fittings that came with it alone.

All went very smoothly in the end, minimal foaming so very happy.

I didon’t take it apart to sanitise or clean it but just ran a few litres of star san through it and gave it a good soak, did the same at the end to clean it once again.

cans? Have you got a canning machine? I keep finding myself looking at them but maybe a step to far for me at the moment!

Just read you post on the canning thread. how do you keep oxygen out? It’s easy enough to purge head space in bottle but how does that work with a can?

FWIW I went to visit a pal who's got one of these canning machines (about $500), and he said he's found it extremely tricky to use even after quite a lot of practice.
Perhaps there's a knack to it, or the more expensive ones are easier?

1620899992547.png

Glad to hear you got a good result with with the Bilchmann :-)
I looked at them but thought I'd first take a punt on one of these cheap (£25 on Amazon) counterpressure fillers:

Screenshot 2021-05-13 at 11.08.21.png

Flipping brilliant for what I was looking for which is basically to fill the odd bottle from a corny to give someone.
No need to drop the pressure even - you can fill at 20psi no problem.

Bit of a faff to use though unless you can clamp it somehow - otherwise you need three hands...

Screenshot 2021-05-13 at 11.21.09.png

Just read you post on the canning thread. how do you keep oxygen out? It’s easy enough to purge head space in bottle but how does that work with a can?
It's the same process as bottling. Purge the can with CO2, fill it up, another squirt and on goes the lid.

FWIW I went to visit a pal who's got one of these canning machines (about $500), and he said he's found it extremely tricky to use even after quite a lot of practice.
Perhaps there's a knack to it, or the more expensive ones are easier?

View attachment 47051

I have that machine and yes they are very fiddly. It's taken a long time to get the hang of it. The machines now are automatic and considerably more expensive, but I can see why they've gone down that route as human error often causes a dodgy seam (ie pushing or pulling on the leaver too hard or for too long). I have a set of callipers to hand and check the seams with every 3/4 cans to make sure they are in spec.

Latest posts

Back