Blichmann Beer Gun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
Because I am sat in a meeting bored my attention has started to drift to buying stuff.

I like the idea of a v2 beer gun. I am assuming that beer transferred in this way will last just as long as beer that was originally directly bottled but it would be great if someone could confirm?

Also, any other kit needed on top of the accessories that come with the v2?

Cheers

Horners

Yes, the beers last very well, if not better due to the ability to purge oxygen from the bottle process. Hoppy beers stay fresher alot longer, and benefit from force carbonation IMO. For beers you may want bottle conditioning, you can batch prime in the keg and then bottle straight away, using light pressure to push the beer out of the keg, and still purge the bottles with co2. I'm going to try this with my next brew, as it happens, an 11% Belgian Dark Ale. Or maybe a hybrid, carb to half the desired volume and then prime to make up the difference in bottle conditioning.

I love my Beergun, however there are some good counter-pressure options out there also. Hopefully, some owners of those will chime in.

Last edited:
Yes, the beers last very well, if not better due to the ability to purge oxygen from the bottle process. Hoppy beers stay fresher alot longer, and benefit from force carbonation IMO. For beers you may want bottle conditioning, you can batch prime in the keg and then bottle straight away, using light pressure to push the beer out of the keg, and still purge the bottles with co2. I'm going to try this with my next brew, as it happens, an 11% Belgian Dark Ale. Or maybe a hybrid, carb to half the desired volume and then prime to make up the difference in bottle conditioning.

Top man thanks - can see im going to leave this meeting a oner lighter.

Because I am sat in a meeting bored my attention has started to drift to buying stuff.

I like the idea of a v2 beer gun. I am assuming that beer transferred in this way will last just as long as beer that was originally directly bottled but it would be great if someone could confirm?

Also, any other kit needed on top of the accessories that come with the v2?

Cheers

Horners
The v2 beer gun looks good and I've only heard good things about it; although never used one myself as I couldn't justify coughing up the dosh.

I got one of these instead, and from what I can tell it's a direct copy of the v1 beer gun. It's substantially cheaper and does a good job:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=162751378901

The only mod I made was to fit a John Guest Push Fit 3/8" to 1/4" male BSP adapter for the CO2 into the beer gun; to do away with the included brass barb. I have a 3/8" gas line hanging at the side of my kegerator, so I just push it into the John Guest fitting come bottling time. Saves a bit of time and eliminates the need for a jubilee clip, screw driver, etc.

The v1 beer gun works well, but it's quite the process taking it to bits for sanitising, building it back up, sanitising your tubing, etc. Not a big deal if you're bottling a whole keg - but a lot of effort if you want to bottle a few beers to give to a mate who's just swung in past for a blether.

I recently picked up one of these but I'm yet to try it. Looks ace, non-intrusive and makes for quick and easy bottling without even opening the kegerator door.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/counter-pressure-bottle-filler/

It was expensive at £75, but as it eliminates messing around with QD's, cumbersome sanitising of the beer gun parts and tubing, cleaning of the tubing once finished, stripping down and reassembly of the beer gun, etc - I'm quite happy. I just hope it's as good as it looks!

I had the V1 and it worked very well apart from the end kept falling off. That issue has been fixed with the V2 though

3 important points when bottling.

1. Forced carb correctly, don’t guess by using high pressure over a day. Set the temp and pressure to your chosen volume say and use the 7 days or more conditioning time to clear and improve the beer in the keg. Just dump the first 1/2 bottle.

2. 1 day before bottling disconnect the gas and drop the temp down by half.

3. On bottling day reconnect at 1-2 PSI and bottle.

HTH.

We've had this conversation recently: https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/recommend-a-bottle-filler-from-corny-keg.78731/

And the "Tapcooler" product was mentioned there too. I was quite impressed. Normally I'd be pushing the "Pegas" filler 'cos it's what I've got (has to be installed carefully in first place though), and slating the Blichmann product 'cos v1 was so naff and I don't believe v2 is any better. As my head is clear of prejudices when it comes to "Tapcooler" I feel fine recommending it (but it doesn't get me any closer to owning one - damn!).

(EDIT: Tapcooler? Sorry I gave no explanation. It what @Ghillie was talking about with Malt Miller link earlier in the thread.)

Last edited:
I hadn't seen the Tapcooler until this thread but now I have, i think that's what I'll be getting! Been looking at the blichmann but seems too much of a hassle... Tapcooler seems like a great plan though!

Latest posts

Back