Blockages

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@HarryFlatters do you recall where you got yours from?
I got my helix spring from kegland official store on AliExpress. It says 10 days delivery but from memory it was around 8 days.

I can't seem to share the link from the app as it's just copying the item text but if you go to the kegland official store on AliExpress.

Screenshot_2021-08-16-20-14-37-232_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

We have a whirlpool arm but with the plate chiller it always blocks. Got a plan now though!

Whirlpool arm doesn't stop blockages! Like TETB said, those hop pellet remnants get through anything! Need a double layered strategy!

Last edited:
Next brew day i will do a short clip when i pump the wort into the snub nose, i will put the wort through a fine mesh seive.Honestly there will be next to no hop debris in the sieve.
Below the false bottom is clean, and thats not using a hop spider.If you are using a hop spider how are hops managing to get in the wort?

Please do! And then I can see where I'm going wrong! As far as I'm concerned I'm following all procedures but still blocking up. I don't blame the brewzilla. It's clearly the chiller that can't handle it

Have a look at a few of home brew network videos he never uses a hop spider, and nearly always cools with a plate chiller.He also just throws loose hop pellets in.

I have two more questions please as well.

Firstly is it definitely a 12mm barb we need because the picture has a 10mm one.

Also I wondered if the barb is difficult to get out of the hole when you want to clean it. Is it a pliers job?

Thanks in advance guys

Firstly is it definitely a 12mm barb we need because the picture has a 10mm one.

Also I wondered if the barb is difficult to get out of the hole when you want to clean it. Is it a pliers job?

I measured mine with calipers, 10mm fits in easily, no pliers required. I must have linked to the wrong size.

I use a hopspider for any hop bills over 100g in the kettle.
I always whirlpool for 15 minutes and then leave it to settle for 15 minutes afterwards. The hops settle in a cone in the centre and don't block the pump.
That said I have a RipTide and it's a pretty strong whirlpool.
I also have a HopRocket which circulates back into the kettle for a bit before I start chilling if I want extra hop goodness and this usually guarantees no blockages as it contains the bulk of the hops.

I have a GF not a BZ but they're similar enough on this regard. I tried pellets with a hop spider and got loads of debris going through the filter. So I whirlpooled and it reduced but still got a bit.

Then I used whole hops and haven't had a problem since with no hop spider and no need to whirlpool

So we've ordered a helix and a barb thing. Will report back on next brew day if it makes a difference. I want to do away with the hop spider if possible and just chuck the hops straight in for the best utilisation. We will see what happens!
Give the whole hops a go, too - they are really nice to use

So we've ordered a helix and a barb thing. Will report back on next brew day if it makes a difference. I want to do away with the hop spider if possible and just chuck the hops straight in for the best utilisation. We will see what happens!
will be very interested in your report on this upgrade Lisa has i am wanting to do away with spider and socks but scared of getting pump blockage

Latest posts

Back