Blonde Ale Slow Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening brewers, could I bother you for a bit of advice, please?

I started this brew as an all-grain kit on 5 April with an OG of 1050 using the supplied yeast, LalBrew BRY-97. Nothing much happened, no bubbles appeared through the airlock for some time (didn't note down when). Eventually, I cracked and took the lid off to reveal a decent amount of barm. So it was doing something!. On April 29, the gravity was 1012, near enough I thought, so I added gelatine and shifted it to a colder place in the form of the garage.

When I came to set it up for bottling today, it was obvious that it was not ready. The sample I drew off was seriously cloudy and the surface of the beer was not clear. The gravity came out at 1014, so my previous reading on 29 April was obviously wrong (maybe 1022?). Oops.

It clearly hasn't finished so what should I do now? Just leave it or rack it into another fermenter? Any suggestions welcome. I did read that BRY-97 could take its sweet time but didn't reckon with this.

John.

An update, as a result of the mini-heatwave round here, the garage is now at 22°C and there is more activity in the airlock than there has been at any time during the fermentation. Now, if I'm going to cold crash it'll need to go into a shorter container. Would it be better to do this now while it's producing CO2 or wait until it's finished?

Thanks,
John.

Wait until it's finished. No harm in leaving it a little longer, say 2-3 more days and check gravity again. For a slow fermenting yeast I'd rather wait longer until the gravity has been the same for about 3-5 days under the same conditions. Better wait rather than risk bottling too early.
What is the suggested FG for the kit? BRY-79 is listed as a medium-high attenuator so it may be done or may have a couple more points to go, maybe down to 1010.

Ok, thanks. Will leave it, best not to interrupt its renaissance.

The instructions suggest an FG of 1014 which is where it's at now but it appears to have plenty left in it judging by the foam on the top...

83% attenuation from your yeast. That seems about right. Well done :smallcheers:

I think 1014 was a conservative prediction.

Latest posts

Back