Blood Red Sky

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Had a bottle of Innis and Gunn blood red sky lastnight. Actually quite liked it. Does anyone have a recipe for similar? Most intriguing of all though and something I am keen to try is the use of oak and rum. I am sure I will think of other styles to try that sort of thing with. What styles of beer particularly lend themselves to oak flavouring?

I have no experience with oak-flavoured beers but the idea puts in mind thoughts of Christmas ales or gourmet beers that are paired with smoked dishes?

You could think of a smoked dish you enjoy and brew a beer to suit? Maybe even something designed around a BBQ, you have time to get this ready for summer!

Due to Innes gunn and brewdog I started making homebrew !
A stout similar to brewdogs paradox islay which went quite well. And a red ale with sherry type cask ageing. I’ve only 2x bottles left

Due to Innes gunn and brewdog I started making homebrew !
A stout similar to brewdogs paradox islay which went quite well. And a red ale with sherry type cask ageing. I’ve only 2x bottles left
And did you just soak chips in wine and put them in the FV?

I started buying oak chunks from malt miller, bourbon and whisky. After I used them once I then placed them in a Pyrex container with a Glenfarclas whisky and another with rum, also sherry I’ve bought from Duty free on the way back from Spain

The first sherry red ale after reading innes gunn barrel aged for 50+ days. Which now you read they use wooden barrel staves. I placed the chunks for 4x week. But found the beer really oaky, so now only add them to a secondary fermenter for 5-7 days and it’s turned out good.

Latest posts

Back